Watering Nipples - How High?

Okay, wyododge, I did just read your page. This is my first excursion on BYC, and I am just learning to navigate.
Thanks for all the info you provide. The pics of your coop are very interesting. Lots to learn there.

Quote:
You are very welcome, it is working fro use, take what you can and adapt it to your situation. That is exactly what I did. Lots of really smart, and experienced people here.

I try to keep it simple. Fixing stuff at -30 hurts. And if I am not at home and my wife has to fix it, it REALLY hurts.

Where there is no ability to abide by simplicity, redundancy is key.

Okay, so I tweaked out the inside. I went ahead and just went with PVC inside.

What's great about the current setup now is that I can adjust the height of the PVC by swapping out the middle vertical bar with a longer or shorter piece. Since the water line is so low pressure, none of the PVC is glued so I can change out the PVC easily. I also raised up the outside bar too. Thanks so much for all the constructive feedback everyone. My chicks will be arriving Nov 1-3 so I've still got awhile to go before they even move in the coop.
big_smile.png

It's worked out really well and I've had no trouble with it since hooking it up. I'm very happy with it. One day I may even hook up a low pressure regulator to it and eliminate the bucket. For now though, all is great. :)

I found that you get less splatter if they have to reach up so their beaks are nearly vertical when they drink. The bottom of my bucket is about 18" off the barrel lid I have under it. If you can make the height adjustable it would be best, IMO, but 12" will not pose a problem, there may just be a bit more 'splatter'. Nice looking set up though!!
I agree. They waist a lot more water if they are pecking sideways instead of pecking up at the nipple. I put the waterer in my chicken tractor on channel strut so I could adjust the height up or down.

This is 4" PVC with a fill valve in it. 1" PVC pipe for the nipples.

In the coops I use a 3 gal cooler with a toilet fill valve. I also add ACV to the water.

got my new baby chicks started on the water nipples today,how do you install the toilet valve,i have had to poke a very small hole in water bottles so it can get air an they can get water,how does this bucket or cooler work,i got the stuff to build one but im using sa 5 gal bucket in stead,i like the set up you have so i think ill do mine like this,also what does toilet valve do
and how did you install it

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom