Watering Nipples.

Do they drip? I worry I'd have a mess of wet pine shavings. I had hampsters as a kid and it was always damp under the waterer.

Quote:
Yep there is a bit of a mess, we put a 55 gallon drum lid under ours to catch the majority of the splashed and missed drops.

They will catch on. I haven't had any wet bedding underneath the nipples. Spilling the water pouring it into the bucket, that's another question.
sad.png

I just ordered some and am looking forward to an easier daily watering experience. We currently use alot of large pet bottles, and filling all of them up takes some time. I'm going to try the bucket with the PVC pipe coming off of it and the water nipples, hopefully to a few pens at a time.

I never had luck with my nipple waterer. I had it in the hen house and it always made a wet spot. I took it out after about 2 weeks. Moisture in the hen house not good. I now use cups. They don't drip and the chickens don't make a mess. Also they don't freeze as easy as I have them all outside the hen house now.

Good luck.

The BackYarder

I'm a big believer in the nipples. Our chickens figured them out in a matter of minutes. I also like having them fed from a bucket that is kept always full by a hose that feeds through a float valve. Works great and is extremely low maintenance.

They do drip when the chickens drink from them. I had one inside the coop but capped it after the chickens were old enough to go outside. We have two outside and I keep plastic 2 x 4's under them to keep it from getting muddy.
104170_jeffs_iphone_1-8-12_059.jpg

Last edited:
Mine don't drip. I'm using the push-in type and followed the directions given for installation and how high to hang them so the birds can drink easily. No mud, no wet litter.

Back
Top Bottom