Watering system all set up...

Panhandler80

Songster
Feb 11, 2020
NW Florida
Was able to knock this project out yesterday. Pretty excited. Will be putting watering cups in the coop, right outside the door, and then at the two additional stations down the side of the run. Four stations... each with three cups. Definitely over kill for 20 chickens, but I figure why not. The additional expense was minimal, and a little extra trenching was no big deal. I want to eliminate as much reason for the to fuss with each other as possible. Figure you can't have too many cups. 55 gallon drum hard plumbed to hose bib with a Y splitter. All I have to do is turn it on to refill. Had thought about trying to catch roof water, but skipped it. I'm running out of gas on this project. There's a clean out plug at the last station, so that I can purge the system on occasion. Turned out pretty neat, I think. Going to put some little eves over each of the water stations in order to help keep debris out. Only thing I would have done different was run the pipe through the FLOOR and under ground for the station right outside the coop. Would have looked a whole lot neater than the pipe coming down the side. Oh well. I may fix it one day.

water4.jpg
water5.jpg
waterabc.png
waterabc2.png
waterabc3.png

Last edited:
Okay... I just placed an order for 15 horizontal nipples. Have scratched the cup idea. The cups were not particularly cheap... guess I'll just hang on them in case we ever find a need.

Was able to knock this project out yesterday. Pretty excited. Will be putting watering cups in the coop, right outside the door, and then at the two additional stations down the side of the run. Four stations... each with three cups. Definitely over kill for 20 chickens, but I figure why not. The additional expense was minimal, and a little extra trenching was no big deal. I want to eliminate as much reason for the to fuss with each other as possible. Figure you can't have too many cups. 55 gallon drum hard plumbed to hose bib with a Y splitter. All I have to do is turn it on to refill. Had thought about trying to catch roof water, but skipped it. I'm running out of gas on this project. There's a clean out plug at the last station, so that I can purge the system on occasion. Turned out pretty neat, I think. Going to put some little eves over each of the water stations in order to help keep debris out. Only thing I would have done different was run the pipe through the FLOOR and under ground for the station right outside the coop. Would have looked a whole lot neater than the pipe coming down the side. Oh well. I may fix it one day.

View attachment 2110415View attachment 2110416View attachment 2110441View attachment 2110442View attachment 2110443
I see that you are in Florida, so you obviously don't have to worry about freezing in the winter. Was wondering if during your project, if you read any recommendations for preventing the possibility of freezing on a system like yours? We live in Virginia and it does get cold enough to freeze in the winter. LOVE your system, but need to have a freezing prevention setup.

I have not yet paid much attention to freezing aspect. I THINK folks heat the water source and use on demand nipples.

Where in VA? Spent 6 years to there. 4 were good. 2 was in NOVA. Barf.

I have not yet paid much attention to freezing aspect. I THINK folks heat the water source and use on demand nipples.

Where in VA? Spent 6 years to there. 4 were good. 2 was in NOVA. Barf.
We live in Roanoke, Virginia. I moved here following the state slogan "Virginia is for Lovers" back in 1989, when I fell in love with a hardworking country boy who was raised in the southwest portion of the state. We have been on our 5 acres for almost 25 years now. I am SO SORRY you lived in NOVA! That portion of the state should be given to D.C. or the communist state of Maryland. They are the reason we have the disgusting governor we have now. I truly wish that we could do something about the federal workers dictating our Commonwealth. If you haven't guessed by now, I am a true conservative and support our president wholeheartedly TRUMP2020!!!!

We live in Roanoke, Virginia. I moved here following the state slogan "Virginia is for Lovers" back in 1989, when I fell in love with a hardworking country boy who was raised in the southwest portion of the state. We have been on our 5 acres for almost 25 years now. I am SO SORRY you lived in NOVA! That portion of the state should be given to D.C. or the communist state of Maryland. They are the reason we have the disgusting governor we have now. I truly wish that we could do something about the federal workers dictating our Commonwealth. If you haven't guessed by now, I am a true conservative and support our president wholeheartedly TRUMP2020!!!!
We on the same page. Nothing wrong with the Nike. I was in Lexington for school. How to place on the Maury River and it was beautiful

Back
Top Bottom