1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Watering with horizontal nipples

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Westfordchix, Dec 2, 2015.

1. Westfordchix

Westfordchix Out Of The Brooder

Dec 2, 2015
    I have progressed from verticals to horizontal nipples in a 5 gallon bucket, all in preparation for a cold winter in Massachusetts. I have the bucket inside the coop, and am a little concerned with the water that winds up on the floor. It's not a terrible amount, byt it is a constant wet spot. Any advice?

[​IMG]

2. Justso

Justso Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2015
    Chicagoland DuPage Co
    I understand this concern, more moisture can cause problems with frostbite. I can't think of anything but to make sure your coop is well ventilated so the moisture can escape. I'm looking forward to any other suggestions you get!

3. Westfordchix

Dec 2, 2015
    Thanks for the advice on the ventilation.

Anyone have experience with these nipples and is this an appropriate amount of leakage? Do you think I need reinstall them?

4. TalkALittle

TalkALittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2014
    Massachusetts
    Raise your bucket up so the nipples are level with the middle of your birds neck. Place a brick by one nipple if you have some small birds so they can use it as a step up. They get more of the water if the nipples are the correct height.

5. Westfordchix

Dec 2, 2015
    I'll do that. Thanks for the advice!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by