Watermelon Rinds

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by davekrista, Jun 26, 2010.

1. davekrista

davekrista Songster

Jun 9, 2010
    Uxbridge, MA
    I'm new to raising chickens, but I've been reading anything I can get my hands on. I've seen quite a bit of posts mention feeding them watermelon rinds. How do you give it to them? Do you have to "grind" it up, or just cut it real small, or just give them big chunks? Do they actually eat it, or just suck on it?
    Krista

2. backdoorchicken

backdoorchicken Songster

Jul 14, 2009
    newport news va
    i gave ours some large cold watermelon wedges to cool them off the other day and the rinds were eaten as well.

3. Mattemma

Mattemma Crowing

Aug 12, 2009
    My rinds always have a decent amount of watermelon still on them,and I give those to my hens to eat.Whatever is left I toss into the compost.I do not cut them up or grind them.Just toss them whatever I have left.I know that cutting them into smaller pieces will speed up composting,but other than that there is no reason.

When I give them a fresh corn cob I will break it in 2 just so they don't have to fight over the one. I think the only thing is grass that needs to be shorter so they don't choke on it.I read a post the other day of a hen choking on some grass,but luckily the owner saw and just pulled the blade out.

4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I just slice off a section of watermelon and set it out for them. They eat the watermelon and most of the soft tissue of the rind. Mine eat pretty much down to the skin of the rind, and then it goes in compost.

5. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    mine love the rinds! they gobble them up till theres hardly anything left to them! [​IMG]

no food go's to waste at my house! [​IMG]

6. palochknldy

palochknldy Chirping

Jun 7, 2010
    Palo, Iowa
    I think my hens could win a watermelon eating contest! By far their favorite snack. After we are done cutting up a watermelon for ourselves, I stick the rinds in a bag and put it in the garage fridge for easy access. Big or little chunks doesn't matter to them.

7. Sweet Violet

Sweet Violet Songster

Jan 9, 2010
    Vista CA
    goodness sakes, my girls will peck and peck and peck until there is nothing left. They'll do this with all kinds of melons.

8. BethieofVA

BethieofVA Songster

Mar 27, 2010
    Yorktown, Virginia
    Just throw the rinds and there and stand back![​IMG]

9. twentynine

twentynine Songster

Jun 14, 2009
    How to feed watermelon rind?

Chunk it over the fence, don't matter the size, they'll process it.

10. dixiechick

dixiechick Songster

I only give slices of watermellon to mine. My grandmother always said giving chickens too big of slices would give them the "sore head" and they would die. Dad fed watermellon to his last year, didn't heed her warning, and two died. I think what was happening is their heads would get sticky with the juice and attract flies and ants. Dad said his birds' eyes were "glued" shut with the juice too.

Either way, it's enough to convince me to feed only small slices where their can't rake their heads in the juice...but they LOVE them!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by