Watermelon

Featherlove23

Chirping
Apr 29, 2022
Idaho
Can I give my ducks an chickens watermelon every day? I got them a whole watermelon which I cut a decent chunk off of every few days. Well the one I got was bigger then I wanted. And is now getting squishier from the outside. I don't normally feed it to my flock everyday but as it's starting to go bad I want to get it used up. I've been also eating it. My ducks absolutely love the stuff same with the chickens.

I am no expert, but I think it would be okay.

Cath Andrews' Raising Happy Chickens online newsletter has an article this week about feeding watermelon to chickens, and she cites sources that say it's an incredibly healthy treat for the birds, offering not just hydration but also natural electrolytes, vitamin C, anti-oxidants and lycopene with no negative side effects.

It has been incredibly uncomfortably hot here recently, and even before reading her article, I have been and will continue to be feeding watermelon to my chickens, ducks and geese.

I am no expert, but I think it would be okay.

Cath Andrews' Raising Happy Chickens online newsletter has an article this week about feeding watermelon to chickens, and she cites sources that say it's an incredibly healthy treat for the birds, offering not just hydration but also natural electrolytes, vitamin C, anti-oxidants and lycopene with no negative side effects.

It has been incredibly uncomfortably hot here recently, and even before reading her article, I have been and will continue to be feeding watermelon to my chickens, ducks and geese.
X2 my girls and my guineas go crazy for watermelon!

Can I give my ducks an chickens watermelon every day? I got them a whole watermelon which I cut a decent chunk off of every few days. Well the one I got was bigger then I wanted. And is now getting squishier from the outside. I don't normally feed it to my flock everyday but as it's starting to go bad I want to get it used up. I've been also eating it. My ducks absolutely love the stuff same with the chickens.
I'm confused because you're saying can you give your animals watermelon everyday and then you say you only have one watermelon. I try to get my animals one watermelon a week and I just take the whole watermelon and smash it on The ground the ducks will drink the liquid inside and trust me by the end of the day you'll have nothing but skin. all farm animals can eat the entire watermelon but I usually get seedless and give it to the donkey and horse and geese as well. Just make sure if you have geese that they can't stand guard next to it all day long they have to share it. My geese are just jerks

I'm confused because you're saying can you give your animals watermelon everyday and then you say you only have one watermelon. I try to get my animals one watermelon a week and I just take the whole watermelon and smash it on The ground the ducks will drink the liquid inside and trust me by the end of the day you'll have nothing but skin. all farm animals can eat the entire watermelon but I usually get seedless and give it to the donkey and horse and geese as well. Just make sure if you have geese that they can't stand guard next to it all day long they have to share it. My geese are just jerks
I've never had ducks before. I'm still learning. They love love watermelon. There two favorite treats so far are meal worms and watermelon. They are very skeptical about new things. They are very entertaining to watch.

Back
Top Bottom