Waterseal or paint your coop?

Sozoed

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 8, 2011
We just got our first brand new coop, and our 5 week old chickens are enjoying themselves totally with their freedom!
Here's my question: we'd like our coop to last a long time. We need to either paint it or waterseal it. Would the fumes hurt our chicks if we painted or watersealed while they were 'cooped' up? Or should we let them run around the garden? We do have cats, which are intensely interested in the chicks, and have already tried to hunt them, so that's a concern. Also if we move the chicks to a different location, how long should we wait til moving them back in? Til the sealer/paint is dry?

I am wondering the same thing. While the girls are in the run I can close up the pop door and paint. If I leave all the windows and door open I wonder if that is enough time for fumes to dissipate?

If your planing on doing anything in the inside you need to remove them temporarily from the area. Paint would be a concern for me but waterseal doesn't seem so bad cause it dries pretty quick. If it's latex paint it doesn't really seem to have toxic fumes as much as oil based, lacquer or any other fumes irritant to the nose.

Quote:
Yeah, TxBuffO. (which by the way, we have an adorable Buff O. in our flock!)this is what I'm thinking as well. As long as the waterseal doesn't drip down into the coop, I think we're good. I just can't see letting our chicks run loose with our cats on the prowl.

Back
Top Bottom