Watery Egg Whites

I've never had this either, even with unwashed eggs on the counter for 7 days they are still firm and hold yolk in place.

I am starting to see a lot of watery whites as well, but the yoke is still well rounded. all eggs are less than 4 days old, but my chickens are almost 3 years old so I think that is is cause. I am going to start paying attention to which chickens are laying the running ones.

Out of 13 hens, I've got 1 silkie, she's not quite 2, she is laying a watery egg, this winter. She doesn't seem sick. I'll put fresh hay in her coop. she tends to sleep on the floor, with her head down, maybe she's getting too much ammonia, as one of the conditions.

I am having the same issue with a least one chicken. When I crack the egg in a fry pan, the yolks are lovely and firm, but he whites are watery and spread out. There seems to be nothing wrong with the quality - and we have not got sick from them. I am not sure which of our 4 chickens are laying these eggs, but two of them are ex-battery hens. Any thoughts? Like the other person, none of the explanations for more 'commercial' layers explain this phenomena - the hens are completely free ranging

I too have an EE whose egg whites and yolks are runny as others have described. Egg shells are also very thin. She is not quite 2 years old, but most of her eggs are like this. She is my only EE, but all my girls are about the same age. She seems happy and healthy otherwise. They get a 16% layer crumble, free choice to oyster shell, sunflower seeds and free range daily.

I have this also currently...I'm not sure about this but there are two things that I changed. One, I had alot of chick feed so I decided to feed them all that feed. Two, the feed was $5 cheaper than the feed I was using previously. I didn't check the ingredients but will now. I didn't have this issue until recently so I'm going back to the Purina feed as all the chicks are now old enough.

In my case, it is my Ancona that has the watery white and the yolk doesn't hold together. It has nothing to do with age. I see no one has a good explanation for this.

My Buff Orpington has been laying eggs with runny whites lately, but my Bard Rock has perfect whites. I was noticing that my Bard Rock eats more extra protein (than what's in their food)because she's a faster eater when I give them the dried mealworms, and egg whites are protein, so I was wondering if this would make a difference? I am going to try to let my Buff eat some of the worms by herself first and see if this increase in protein ingestion will make a difference with her whites. :)

Back
Top Bottom