Watery egg whites

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by annie parker, Oct 23, 2012.

1. annie parker

annie parker New Egg

Oct 17, 2012
    As hard as I've tried I cannot discover what causes the whites of new-laid eggs to be so watery. Can anyone give me an answer??

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
  3. astormygirl

astormygirl Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2012
    I have a new pullet that does this. hmmmm
    I thought that it was just that her egg laying was not correct yet.

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    It is possible in your case is that she is a new pullet and she has not got the kinks worked out of her internal egg-laying factory. I'd give her a couple of weeks at least before I made any drastic moves.

5. annie parker

annie parker New Egg

Oct 17, 2012
    thank you kind sir

6. whamo

whamo New Egg

Dec 5, 2012
    I recently acquired 3 hens from some friends who moved to a non-poultry allowing neighborhood. One hen is a barred rock, 1.5 years old. She lays large (2.3 oz on average), pointy eggs, often sandpapery feeling, thin-shelled with very watery whites. She appears healthy and very active.

At her old home she only ate layer crumbles and bird seed; I supplement with vegetable scraps, carbohydrate scraps (leftover pasta & rice) and let the hens free range when we are home (with the short days right now, mostly only on the weekends). Does anyone have any suggestions about supplements/food additions to help her whites improve, or is this just the kind of egg she lays? She's a real trooper and lays about 5 eggs a week, without extra lighting in the am/pm, and is outgoing and friendly.

7. 20nuggets

20nuggets New Egg

Aug 6, 2015
    Scotland
    i seem to be getting the white in two parts, the egg when cracked open has a white round the egg yolk but there is also a more thinner liquid???
    i have four hens all just started laying all eggs are perfectly formed as are the shells they taste great just concerned that the white is watery??
    any ideas anyone??

8. rides2far

rides2far Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2014
    Bakersfield California
  9. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    There are normally two parts of the white, one is much thinner than the other.

10. 20nuggets

20nuggets New Egg

Aug 6, 2015
    Scotland
    yeah i know i think i will post u pic and show you, there seems to be a fair bit of the watery stuff. will post a pic see what everyone thinks! thanks for post.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by