watery poo for 10 days, what should I do

poplarbird

In the Brooder
Sep 21, 2016
Australia
my chicken is 1 year and 2 months old, she had just came out of broody buster on Saturday 20th May.

We noticed last Tuesday 23th (Day 1) that she poo was greenish and watery. In the meantime, she still ate but the crop was not as full as usual, and she lost feathers.

We visited a vet late on Thursday and her temperature was 41 degrees, later the vet rang and suggested us to admit her to the hospital for a few days. We kept her in the garage the night and took this pic.
She was taken to the hospital next morning(Day 4), and spent 5 days there. She has the same treats and feed we provided, and vet tested he poo found nothing, gave she 2 antibiotics.

When she was dismissed the vet said her poo looked normal but still a bit runny, but we observed that she behaved EXACTLY THE SAME. She still eats but less, she drinks a lot, she poo is watery. But she no longer loses feather, and she looks very normal.

It's disappointing that nothing appears changed, and my husband is going to ring to find out more. ( we have spent over 100 dollars over the last 5 days, she is very important to the family otherwise we wouldn't have spent that much)

Is she sick? What could she be suffering? How long would it take the antibiotic to work ?

Attachments

• cloudie's.jpg
    cloudie's.jpg
    367.6 KB · Views: 12
I would give her a small amount of plain cultured yogurt daily mixed with a little feed or egg, for probiotics. That may help her gut since she has been on antibiotics. Could she be starting her first big molt?

She was on antibiotics for 5 days since day 4. Metrogyl 200mg * 3 tablet, Tribactril 20 Tabs * 6 tablet

we checked her poo this morning, there were solid bits, but a lot of water(around half cup) . She is still losing feather but only a few.
That's metronidazole and sulfamethoxazole w/trimethoprim (SMZ/TMP). What bacteria did the vet suspect?

That's metronidazole and sulfamethoxazole w/trimethoprim (SMZ/TMP). What bacteria did the vet suspect?

no. in fact the vet rang university but found no clue. he rang us again yesterday suggested that if we don't mind we can do a blood test and urine test. this will be another $130

I would give her a small amount of plain cultured yogurt daily mixed with a little feed or egg, for probiotics. That may help her gut since she has been on antibiotics. Could she be starting her first big molt?

she ate normal, behaved normal. she finished her first big molting over 1 month ago. ( Exactly autumn time)

he poo finally became almost normal for the last 3 days. But she started molting, and she stopped eating pellet for almost a week now.

she still eats grass, mealworm, scratch mixed with seed, but not pellet. we feed her tin tuna to help with omega3 but she showed not much interest.

She did her first heavy molting in April, and now it looks like she is going through a mini molt?

any advice is appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom