Watery poo

I continue to have intermittent watery stools with two of my birds. I have tried buttermilk and eggs, probios powder, electrolytes, yogurt, acv in the water, and had the vet do a fecal float/gram strain. Came back clean. Should I try antibiotics with them. If so, what kind? They are otherwise happy and healthy, still laying, not sure what to do.

I would not do that.

Some chickens just do watery poos.

One last question. I was wondering is it cold possibly be what they eat. ?? Maybe. ??

Here are some pics I took in the run when I got home. I let them out, and followed the two Egger's around and they both had normal poo's.
Do you know which one is doing these?

-Kathy

My two Easter Eggers are the ones that have runny poo's. They don't do it all the time, some are perfectly normal. They are the bottom two in the pecking order, so I wonder if they are being kept away from the feeders possibly...I am ordering another feeder, just in case, that will make three for 12 birds. Yesterday and today, I put out extra trays of crumble in the morning, spreading them out so they are able to eat without being chased off so much, They are both staying steady at just under 5lbs, so not losing weight. I ordered fish zole today. When the fecal's came back clean, the vet told me if it were a dog or cat he would treat with metronidazole, and see if it clears up. Then he mentioned it again, so I think he may have been telling me he couldn't prescribe that med for a chicken(food source), but maybe suggesting I try it??? Still trying to figure this out. Both are still acting normally and laying 5-6 eggs a week.

My two Easter Eggers are the ones that have runny poo's. They don't do it all the time, some are perfectly normal. They are the bottom two in the pecking order, so I wonder if they are being kept away from the feeders possibly...I am ordering another feeder, just in case, that will make three for 12 birds. Yesterday and today, I put out extra trays of crumble in the morning, spreading them out so they are able to eat without being chased off so much, They are both staying steady at just under 5lbs, so not losing weight. I ordered fish zole today. When the fecal's came back clean, the vet told me if it were a dog or cat he would treat with metronidazole, and see if it clears up. Then he mentioned it again, so I think he may have been telling me he couldn't prescribe that med for a chicken(food source), but maybe suggesting I try it??? Still trying to figure this out. Both are still acting normally and laying 5-6 eggs a week.
You could also try de-worming them if you haven't already. They're acting normal, which is good, but maybe worming and trying metronidazole is something to think about. Google Fish-Zole or Aquazole if you want to buy some metronidazole.

-Kathy

You could also try de-worming them if you haven't already. They're acting normal, which is good, but maybe worming and trying metronidazole is something to think about. Google Fish-Zole or Aquazole if you want to buy some metronidazole.

-Kathy

I am going to use Verm-X - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003L6HRRO?keywords=Verm-X&qid=1445811036&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1. It is herbal so you can still eat the eggs when you give them it. All the reviews on amazon say it's great.

I would definitely consider it.

I have ordered the fish zole. I think I will worm them as well, since we will have to discard the eggs anyway. Do you think it is ok to worm with fenbendazole and do the fish zole at the same time? What is the recommendation for egg withdrawal after fish zole, and can you tell me about dosing?

I have ordered the fish zole. I think I will worm them as well, since we will have to discard the eggs anyway. Do you think it is ok to worm with fenbendazole and do the fish zole at the same time? What is the recommendation for egg withdrawal after fish zole, and can you tell me about dosing?
I give both fenbendazole at the same time. Not sure what withdrawal time is, maybe 2-4 weeks?

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom