Wattage for red heat lamp

chattykathy306

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 6, 2012
I bought a Thermocube, mainly to encourage my hens to lay and to keep the water from freezing. I just bought a red bulb, but am wondering if the wattage may be too high. It is 250 watts. Initially, I thought that this high wattage would just make it shut off sooner, since the coop will warm up quicker than with a lower wattage. Just thinking more about it and wondering if it might emit too much heat for the hens, even though it is not on for long periods of time. The coop is about 4X5 and I have 6 chickens. Would love some advice, since we plan to put in the heat this weekend.

The Thermo Cube is going to cycle by temperature. It seems like you would want the light to be controlled by a timer and use the Thermo Cube with something for keeping the water thawed. There are a lot of ideas on BYC for keeping water liquid. I am using this timer http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0B3BG7605S087NZ5NN4G
I use a regular 40 watt bulb at warmer temperatures (-10F and up) and switch to a regular 100 watt when it is colder. Don't know where you are located. Conditions are different everywhere, and not all advice applies to all locations. Coop construction, breed of bird, etc all factor in.

I have another light (night light) on a timer to give them supplemental light to promote laying. This goes on at 2:30 AM. I just want the red light for heat, which will be between 35-45 when on the Thermocube. Just wanting to know if the amount of heat with a 250 watt bulb will be too much in this small coop (4X5).

Ah, sorry to make those assumptions. What kind of climate do you have? Chickens don't need a real warm environment. 250 watts is probably more than is needed. There are some good threads on the forum with advice about cold weather management. Maybe some folks who are more experienced than me can weigh in.

ETA https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/421122/think-its-too-cold-for-your-chickens-think-again this thread may help with figuring out what is best for you and your birds.

Last edited:
I live in NE Wisconsin (Cheesehead Country). It is getting below freezing at night and in the 30s-40s in the daytime. I think I mentioned that the Thermocube will keep it between 35-45, which will keep the water from freezing and will hopefully promote laying. I will look at the info on this site to see if I can gain more knowledge of what is best. I am aware that the chickens don't have to have heat, but I only want to provide a bit of warmth to see if I can get some eggs yet this winter. I am actually hoping for a Christmas egg! My chickens are about 16-17 weeks old now. Loving them, but it seems there is so much to learn. I don't remember my grandpa having any issues; it seemed so easy back then. Thanks for your contribution of information.

Thanks. This will save my husband some work today and will save us some money when we take the lights back to the Tractor Supply store. I should see if I can also return the Thermocube to Farmtek. I love this chicken forum!! Tempted to just sit and read it for entertainment once I find the answers to my many questions. Hey, do they have gatherings of chicken people??!! :)

Quote: I'd keep the Thermocube and light fixture because you may need to make a heater to keep their water from freezing.
You won't need a big bulb to do that though

Back
Top Bottom