wax on top of jellies

ozark hen

Living My Dream
15 Years
Apr 4, 2007
Mansfield, MO
Can someone tell me ...do I cook up my batch of grape jam and pour into jars and then just cover with melted parafin wax? that way I can use my jars that don't have the processing lids just the store screw on ones like the ones from salsa, etc.

Yes Mamm you can. That's the way my Grammy did it, that's the way my Stepmother has done it for years and always has good jelly and apple & peach butter.. Yum Yum
big_smile.png
Karan

Be careful. Botulism, mold, etc. can grow in some foods. If you use lids, you can process them in a hot water bath and kill pathogens. Sealing with just wax is not as safe. I know some families have done it this way for years with no trouble, but there is some risk.

Here is an excerpt from the USDA publication.

"Because of possible mold contamination, paraffin or wax seals are no longer recommended for any sweet spread, including jellies. To prevent growth of molds and loss of good flavor or color, fill products hot into sterile Mason jars, leaving 1/4-inch headspace, seal with self-sealing lids, and process 5 minutes in a boiling-water canner. Correct process time at higher elevations by adding 1 additional minute per 1,000 ft above sea level. If unsterile jars are used, the filled jars should be processed 10 minutes. Use of sterile jars is preferred, especially when fruits are low in pectin, since the added 5-minute process time may cause weak gels."

My grandmother used to make the best elderberry jam and wild strawberry jam...always sealed with paraffin and we suffered no ill effects.

But the botulism risk is real, and I'm afraid to can that way. Since I don't want to be afraid of my own food
smile.png
I use the seals and lids and process them in the water bath.

Yummmm.....QUARTS of good grape jam! I'm so jealous!

Well, I tried making it
roll.png
no luck. I had three quarts of "grape jam". I kept cooking it trying to get it to the "sheet" stage. I thought it was there but when it was poured into the jars and cooled off......... very loose and runny. Plus, stuff looks like watered down applesauce!
smack.gif
So now I am thinking of straining it through cheese cloth but want to use sure jell to make it into jelly but not real sure as to how to do it?
hu.gif

I had that trouble myself and ended up using it for pancakes and frenchtoast. Was good that way.
tongue.png

The problem was the Sure jel was out dated so you might want to check and see what the expiration date is. Other than that I don't know what it could be.
hu.gif
I only use the recipe on with the SureJel. Or wait a few days or couple of weeks and see if it sets up more.
Hope your next batch comes out.

Let me know
big_smile.png
Karan

Back
Top Bottom