Way to prevent rooster from being mean?

If you have very young children - I would not recommend keeping the roo.

If they are over 5 years old, then at your discretion. mrsK

I second this. There can be some exceptions, for sure, but often they are seen in hindsight. I did have some friends with 12 acres and a free ranging flock, and they did not seem to have trouble. But then again, like I said, you will always find examples of calm, gentle roosters that are kid friendly. But likely as not, these folks did nothing different than the owners of some aggressive, cantankerous roosters. You do your best, but you get what you get in the end.

It's always helpful to have someone you know who butchers their chickens. I let my girls know in advance what was the fate if any of our in-town chicks were to be roosters, and when Roscoe-aka-Tinkerbell crowed one morning, he was stew the next day. Now we will be able to keep a rooster, but again, it is always on a we'll-see basis.

Last edited:
Twice I had a bully bird being so mean to another that I decided to do something. Waiting outside, giving snacks and hanging out with them is when I always saw the mean act. Jumping into action, pushing down on the offending birds rump, loudly saying "NOOO!". That works. Acting Like I was the rooster and I was in charge works.

I will lightly push a mean bird down and hold her for a few seconds while loudly commanding the word "no" works. Later on after doing this repeatedly all I had to do was say "No!" from the window. Now my birds get along. I guess I was successful. BTW I only have 6 spoiled birds who are even allowed to come inside so I am always within arms reach of them.

Back
Top Bottom