ways to cool chickens in hot weather?

Annie2007

Chirping
Jun 2, 2020
Lincoln NE
Hello, it is the summer and in my state the temperature can get up to 100 degree F. I have notice my chicken beginning to pant and spreading their wings away from their bodies even at night. Are there ways that I can help my chicken beat the summer heat?
Also I have put a homemade no crow collar on my rooster, it is working quite well, but he does seem a little bit mad with me about it, he doesn't let me pet him anymore and doesn't come to me whenever I go inside the coop like he usually did. Another problem, it is bad if I don't let my chicken free range enough, my mum has a vegetable garden( lettuces, cilantro, tomatoes, water spinach, ect...) and my sister has a area where she doesn't want anyone stepping into it, whenever the chickens come out they will just go in and peck at the vegetables, we don't really have time to just sit there and watch them everyday just to make sure they don't go in those areas.( I do let them come down to their run everyday of course.)

For cooling down in hot weather, ice in their water (I freeze a big container of water so it lasts all day) providing them with lots of shade, and if you have the budget for it, installing a fan.

in my state
What state is that?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1593604666490.png

Deep all day shade is best but....I don't have much of that.
This has worked very well to keep heat stress/stroke at bay:

I give a dose of Sav-a-Chick electrolytes/vitamins about once a week during heat waves.
It really seems to help....started this after they saved a heat stroked hen once.
Can mix up a smaller amount, just wrap the packet tight and store in a dry cool place.
Always have plain water available too.
full

BIG(9x14x2") chunks of ice last all day for wading, sitting, and sipping.
Much more useful to the chickens than frozen foods and treats.
full

Make space in your freezer!
full

Back
Top Bottom