Ways to find good homes for boys from hatch?

maggienchamp

Chirping
8 Years
Aug 22, 2011
So, I am going to be incubating and hatching some eggs for the first time this spring
jumpy.gif
However, because of where I live, I cannot own a rooster
sad.png
I was wondering how I could find good homes for the boys I hatch & raise? By good I mean a loving home, where they will be taken care of properly...not eaten!!! I already have a friend who has volunteered to take a couple boys, but I would like to figure out a plan for the other possible roos. Any suggestions? Thanks!

I seriously doubt you'll be able to find loving pet homes for your roosters. Many people don't want to or can't keep any roosters with their egg laying flocks. If they do want to keep a rooster, the common ratio would be about one rooster to every ten hens.

When hatching chicks, you have to assume on average you will get 50% roosters. If things work out mathematically and you hatch out 20 chicks, you already have nine too many.

If you want to hatch out chicks, I think you need to accept the extra roosters will be eaten. At least if they are home raised to be eaten, you will know they led a better life than commercially raised birds.

Good luck with what you decide to do.

Deb

Craigslist is a great source to finding your roosters a new home. If you decide that you want to use the meat, you can also take them to a NYS Inspected slaughter facility and have them plucked and cleaned and then you could use them as a dual purpose once they have become to the table size you would like.

if you don't want to eat it then i would suggest craigslist. Take pictures of them and post it free to a good home or sell them cheaply as people are always trying to find roosters a new home.

Link: www.craigslist.com

Whats wrong with eating roosters? Raise the boys and girls together, then once the rooster starts crowing, knock him off and eat him. Organic chicken. Nobody wants roosters, especially ones that have a unknown gene pool.

nothing wrong with eating them, i personally couldn't kill or eat my own even if they where really mean, maybe if i had hundreds, but my birds are like pets it something about raising them.

Whats wrong with eating roosters? Raise the boys and girls together, then once the rooster starts crowing, knock him off and eat him. Organic chicken. Nobody wants roosters, especially ones that have a unknown gene pool.

IMHO if you want control of the birds you hatch then you have to keep them. Can't keep them? Then you have no right to say what happens to them when they leave your house

Back
Top Bottom