Ways to Protect Coop and Run Against Predators?

angie_02

Chirping
Jun 2, 2017
Sadly, I've had a fox attack recently wiping out 6 of my chickens. I was absolutely devestated and now I want to work to improve my coop and run to help protect my remaining girls and prevent this from happening again. Any tips on improving coops against foxes or other predators. Also, what are other predators I may face with my chickens?

Hello Angie :welcome

It's a good idea to have 1/2" or smaller hardware cloth (not chicken wire) surrounding the entire coop & run buried at least 1 1/2', including overhead to protect against hawks & the like.

Predators in your area would depend on where you are. Here in Colorado we see anything from raccoons, foxes, coyotes, mountain lions, weasels, hawks, eagles, black bear, ext. Only sure bet against the larger predators is electric fencing, but it'll only be effective if done correctly for the predators you face.

ETA: Be sure there are no gaps in the coop & run any larger than a 1/2".

Last edited:
That fox will come back I've had multiple attacks but the way I solved it I shot him 2 actually one died immediately the other not so much got him in the leg or something but he never came back after that. That is truly the best solution because the fox WILL be back but you can dig wire down in the ground where their walls are so he can't dig in and make sure there are no holes anywhere.

IMG_3765.JPG
Unfortunately, as this is my first time raising chickens, I made the mistake of leaving my chickens unattended while free ranging. They had been doing it for weeks with no issues until bam, I go outside to check on them and there are dead chickens scattered around the yard. So, that one was clearly on me. We now have a run around the coop with stakes and a makeshift gate. We have had no problems thus far, but I am still worried about predators. I do not have pictures of the run at this point but I have attached a picture of our coop. The run we have made is made out of chicken wire but can be changed like @barred2rock suggested. Just the other night we had a very excited raccoon near the coop screaming and chattering. Do they pose a threat as well? Thank you for helping and understanding our inexperience.

That fox will come back I've had multiple attacks but the way I solved it I shot him 2 actually one died immediately the other not so much got him in the leg or something but he never came back after that. That is truly the best solution because the fox WILL be back but you can dig wire down in the ground where their walls are so he can't dig in and make sure there are no holes anywhere.

We had been expecting the fox to reuturn, we even had traps out, (though foxes are apparently too smart for traps), we had them drag the traps across the yard once or twice and set out game cameras, but they never returned.

View attachment 1029627 Unfortunately, as this is my first time raising chickens, I made the mistake of leaving my chickens unattended while free ranging. They had been doing it for weeks with no issues until bam, I go outside to check on them and there are dead chickens scattered around the yard. So, that one was clearly on me. We now have a run around the coop with stakes and a makeshift gate. We have had no problems thus far, but I am still worried about predators. I do not have pictures of the run at this point but I have attached a picture of our coop. The run we have made is made out of chicken wire but can be changed like @barred2rock suggested. Just the other night we had a very excited raccoon near the coop screaming and chattering. Do they pose a threat as well? Thank you for helping and understanding our inexperience.

Yes, raccoon are one of the bigger threats to chickens, they can reach in between the chicken wire and pull chunks of meat off your chickens through the holes. :eek:

Yes, raccoon are one of the bigger threats to chickens, they can reach in between the chicken wire and pull chunks of meat off your chickens through the holes. :eek:
I would've thought foxes would've been the bigger threat! Thanks for sharing I had no idea they could do that! Would they do this anytime of day or only at night? I mostly hear them at night.

Back
Top Bottom