Ways to separate chicks while hatching

chickenmomma16

Crowing
11 Years
Jul 16, 2012
Buckley, Washington
I have a Brinsea Octagon and I need ideas on how to separate 5 different breedings. I was looking at mesh bags to put the eggs in at lock down. Kinda like the ones you get those clementines in. Has anyone used these or is there a better option out there?

I would not use mesh bags. Chicks are very good at finding trouble, and I can see their fragile little legs getting tangled in those easily.

I wish I could help you, I do not know any solution besides keeping tabs as they hatch so you know who is who.

If you see each one hatching you can put leg tags on them. I use the flat wrap around leg rings when they first hatch to keep track of who's who. I've also heard of people staggering the hatch dates, putting each breed in 2 days apart.

This is one breed, with 5 single matings so telling them apart will be next to impossible. It was a last minute setting of eggs so they are already 6 days into incubation. I will be toe punching them once out but I cannot guarantee I will be there for each individual chick to hatch. I just need something to contain them in case I cannot get there right away and multiple chicks hatch. I saw a thread a long time ago that had some ideas but I seem to be having trouble with the new BYC search. I can't seem find the info I need now.

Back
Top Bottom