1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Wayward chickens keep leaving home

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by livingrn, Jul 13, 2008.

1. livingrn

livingrn Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2008
    Indiana
    Is there any way to keep my girls in my own yard? I love letting them free range but they keep wandering over to the "not so nice neighbor" and I don't want to cause trouble with him. I just put up 200 ft of privacy fence over there but there's still another 400 ft that isn't fenced...and they found it. It's not like I have a small yard, it's an acre and a half...and my neighbor on the other side is cool with them visiting him. Any suggestions?

2. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Fencing or poultry netting is the only thing I know of that will keep chickens in a desired area. You could also utilize a chicken tractor.

3. peepkeeper

peepkeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2007
    upstate New York
    Be a good neighbor and either fence your yard or keep the chickens contained. It might save their lives too, your neighbor will put up with only so much intrusion and it's a matter of time before they start meeting with "unfortunate accidents" in his yard.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by