Wazine-17 - Single Dose

t8rtot

Chirping
13 Years
Jun 8, 2010
Lawrence, KS
Hi everybody!

I don't want to put this under the "emergency" thread, but I do need to know, and didn't find a more suitable place -

Our veterinarian has asked that I mix enough dewormer for one chicken into her food, rather than administer it via water. She is separated from the rest of the flock, and he wants to make sure that it gets into her.

I can't figure out how much is the right amount for ONE bird.

The bottle says 2oz per 2gallons for 100 birds. I think he also said that the typical bird drinks 50-100cc per day.

UGH. Can someone help me? I'm normally good with math, but ...

Does this seem right: 2 ounces of Wazine-17 is to treat 100 birds. There are approx 60 cc in 2 ounces, so I'd give her .6cc?

I don't know if it will help you but when I worm my birds I just put a shot glass full of wazine into a gallon waterer and block off access to any other type of water. I leave it for an entire day and then remove it. To try and mix up just enough for one bird is nearly impossible unless the vet tells you exactly what to do. If I were you I would just mix up a gallon for that bird and allow access for 24 hrs.

Your math seems right but I still don't know if I would give it straight like that

Last edited:
Quote:
If she is eating she is definitly drinking..The Wazine needs mixing with water for better gut coverage..mix 8 cc's or 1 1/2 teaspoons of wazine to a quart of water and let her drink on this all day

Thanks guys!

I noticed some "gaping" today - and I'm contemplating safeguard or some sort of ivermectin (which are all so confusing) soon. Will the Safeguard take care of gape worms? How long do I have to wait after the wazine?

I'm just a tad panicked about this little girl. She's a sweetie, and just in bad shape. Can I use the safeguard soon after the wazine? Or is that just a bad idea?

Thanks

Quote:
I would wait at least 10 days before you use any other wormer including safeguard. Safeguard 10% liquid goat wormer will take care of gapeworm. There's a way you can check for gapeworm though. Use a Q-tip and stick it 1 inch down the throat and gently swab. Gently remove the Q-tip and if you see red in color "Y" shaped worms on the Q-tip, it'll be gapeworm. Also check for any obstructions in the throat before swabbing with a Q-tip. It helps if you have someone who can help you do this task. Dosage for the safeguard liquid goat wormer is 3cc per gallon of water...leave it out for 2 days and it must be their sole source of water.

Thanks for the information!

Husband isn't too keen on helping with the Q-tip swab at this time. The gaping seemed like it was only for a little bit yesterday. Freaked me out, still. She opened her mouth wide, several times, while I had her out of her crate. But, I haven't seen it since. I'm just very paranoid, and want her to get better. Maybe I'm too empathic to have chickens.

The rest of the flock was treated with Wazine on 10/30, so I think I'll go ahead and treat them with safe guard tomorrow - just to take care of any potential problems. Then I can get them on a regular regimen. They free range (when we're at home) so they probably have lots of access to intermediate hosts.

Our Orscheln Farm and Home only seems to have the paste, but we have a new Tractor Supply in town - if I can only find the paste - is it just a pea sized nibble?

Thanks

Quote:
Yes, a "pea" size amount of paste to each chicken. It might be easier to put it on a small piece of bread and give each chicken a piece. Discard eggs for 14 days after dosing with safeguard.

Thanks, dawg...

Is there a need to repeat the paste daily? I see in many threads that the water treatment is for 2-3 days... Should I paste-treat them for 2-3 days? Or just once?

Again, thank you for your help.

Back
Top Bottom