Wazine unsafe?

garbagePaw

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 4, 2012
I am trying to worm my flock (for good measure) and at Murdoch's they recommended Wazine. Upon getting home and reading the bottle a little more carefully I am reading that it should not be given to chickens that produce eggs for human consumption. Ahem - this is ALL my chickens do hahaha. So if I worm them with Wazine, how long do we have to wait before we can eat the eggs again? Is there a more broad-spectrum wormer I can use that covers more than Rounds?

Thanks...

There is a withdrawal period for most dewormers during which you need to discard eggs. And yes, I would use something more effective that Wazine. Chickens get a lot more types of worms then roundworms so it's not terribly efficient to deworm with Wazine. Valbazen is what I consider about the best for chickens, I also use liquid Safeguard dewormer for goats as I like to rotate dewormers.

Dose is 1/2 cc for standard birds, 1/4 cc for bantams. Repeat dose in 10 days. You do need to discard eggs until 10 after the last dose. I deworm twice a year and I do one of them in the winter when egg production is down anyway. Yes it's a hassle to discard all those eggs but it's well worth it a couple times a year to keep hens healthy.

Thank you for the detailed reply! I did see the Safeguard goat dewormer at the store - I think I'll return the Wazine and get that instead. So, it is interchangeable? I will be ok using the goat stuff on my chickens? I am a small animal vet tech so I know what to use for dogs and cats but I'm still getting used to chicken care.

Where can I get Valbazen?

Was your dose listed for Valbazen or Safeguard (or both...)?

Discard eggs for 10 days... omg! LOL that makes me sad!

Thank you for the detailed reply! I did see the Safeguard goat dewormer at the store - I think I'll return the Wazine and get that instead. So, it is interchangeable? I will be ok using the goat stuff on my chickens? I am a small animal vet tech so I know what to use for dogs and cats but I'm still getting used to chicken care.

Yes, your fine to use the Valbazen or Safeguard on your chickens. There is so little available that is specifically labeled for chickens and what there is is so ineffective so for good parasite control people have to use other stuff "off label".

I had a hard time finding Valbazen locally too so I ordered mine on-line. Can't remember where, might have been from Jeffers Livestock Supply, I don't remember.

Yeah, I use the 1/2 cc dose per standard bird for either of those.

Caution - Do not use Valbazen (albendazole) on pigeons or doves.

Here is the albendazole info from Plumb's Veterinary Drug Handbook.

Last edited:
Shop around online and you can find a good price on the Valbezan, my last I bought through Amazon, but as the previous poster mentioned it can be sourced at Jeffers livestock.

On the safety of Valbezan (Albendazole) and egg consumption, reading the following article may make you feel better.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/216236-medications-to-treat-human-worms/

I dose mine at dark from the roost and put each outside in the run as I do them so they do not get a double dose.

Good Luck

I use Safeguard for Goats and dose 50mg/kg ( .5cc/kg) by mouth and repeat in ten days.
Warning - Do not use during molting!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom