We almost ran over a killer

crazypetlady

Songster
8 Years
Jul 30, 2011
East Central Indiana
My Coop
My Coop
We were having coon problems of late, the last 4 nights since we put out a light and locked up all of the flock we could catch we have been fine. Yesterday we had to leave the house at 5am and what do we see ass soon as we turn out of our driveway, a racoon, my husband tried to run it over but I panicked and screamed NO!! then we turn on the back road and there was another one the same thing. I feel like such a sissy I should have let him do it. x2

I feel bad running over racoon's but I feel worse when I pick up my dead headless chickens, ducks, gunieas.

If we get another chance it's roadkill city............

live traps and a 22 is easier
wink.png

I second MetalSmitten -- you don't want to be standing by your totaled car at 3:00am explaining to the cop that you hit the tree because you were trying to run over coons
wink.png

I ran over a whole family of them once,they were right in the middle of the road and I wasn't going to swerve or slam on my brakes. I felt badly at the time, but now coons are on my pests to be exterminated list!

We dont have racoons in the UK, but we do have foxes and I have friends whose whole flocks have been killed and left to rot.. they didnt even eat them! We also have deer that can be a plague to farmers crops and they cull them annually to keep the numbers down. We are also plagued by rabbits here also and the farmer periodically gasses the warrens..

I dont think I could personally shoot an animal unless it was injured, but I can totally understand why farmers and smallholders protect their stock and I feel as long as its done humanely then thats fine. I agree though I think a gun is by far the most humane way to do it..

I agree with the poster in stopping her hubby run it over, 1, it may have injured and not killed it and 2, I expect it may damage the car.

I'd definitely try and get pest control to get rid of it though, I saw a program on TV the other day and this lady had to keep all her cats in doors at night because it killed two others.. they might look cute but this poor lady was terrorized by it.

Back
Top Bottom