We are back!

DobieLover

Easily distracted by chickens
Premium Feather Member
Jul 23, 2018
NY Southern Tier
My Coop
My Coop
So I am getting a little upset and maybe it’s par for the course. I noticed one of the gals had pasty bum. Last night and cleared it out. Saw the bum pulsing and she pooped on me. Which was awesome because I knew it was clear.

Today she was NOT ok. Labored breathing, just like the past gal that passed. Checked her again and no pasty bum, but I knew she was critical because she looked just like the chick from the other day.

Long story short I checked her today and she was dead and foaming at the mouth.

My flock started as 8 and is now down to 5. One dying in shipping. One just a rough shipping and I assume this one was maybe I didn’t catch the pasty bum quick enough.

My frustration is I now have another bird that don’t sticking with the flock now. She also had pasty bum. Hard clump that I cleared. No poop. But she is staying under the brooder warmer.

I feel I am missing something. I got rid of the heat lamp and got the brooder radiator. The chicks now have electrolytes in their water. I have a starter chick feed.

The temp under the brooder radiator is 94 degrees.

What can I change? Loosing chicks is destroying me.
Shipping is very hard on chicks.
Do you have a waterer with just plain water along with the one with electrolytes?
I would raise the brooder plate up one notch in the front and leave the level where it is in the back.
Do you have any Poultry Nutri-drench? Try giving the the weak one a drop to the side of her beak and let it wick in. She may not make it though.

May 26, 2018
Lafayette, La
Shipping is very hard on chicks.
Do you have a waterer with just plain water along with the one with electrolytes?
I would raise the brooder plate up one notch in the front and leave the level where it is in the back.
Do you have any Poultry Nutri-drench? Try giving the the weak one a drop to the side of her beak and let it wick in. She may not make it though.
I do not have Poultry Nutri-drench, but I can go get some for sure.

May 26, 2018
Lafayette, La
So I am bought the plans for the below coop, and I plan on building it with some mild modifications to handle the southern heat.

1635088453556.png

Just some details about my future flock and size of this as pictures are deceiving. The henhouse is 35 sqft and the run is 102 sqft, with the ability to add additional run on the right side.

I plan on having 12 chickens.

The modifications I plan on making.
The front panels open for maintenance. I wanted to do more of an open air design and cut holes in the panels (with added hardware cloth) to provide more ventilation.
  1. Front Panels of Henhouse - Cut two windows into panels to provide more ventilation and provide more of an open air design. Added hardware cloth on the windows for additional protection.
  2. Roof - Roof calls for a corrugated polycarbonate roof panel, I would like to use a galvanized steel roof to protect from the hot sun of Louisiana.
  3. Roof of henhouse - Instead of a closed in space, I want to make the roof of the henhouse hardware cloth to provide even more ventilation. The henhouse will be covered by the galvanized steel.
Does anyone see anything wrong with this build and/or provide some suggestions?

P.S - The gals will be let out into the yard to roam as frequently as possible.

Top Bottom