we are newbies

soules

Hatching
Aug 5, 2020
We are wanting to start raising chickens with our children. We would like a breed that is docile, all female, and that will be fun. Our kids are 12, 10, and 8. Any suggestions, tips and info on where to purchase would be much appreciated...we live in central Arkansas.

Hello! When buying chicks from a feedstore or hatchery generally you'll have a 50-80% chance of getting females, so unless they're older (2 months+) you won't get all females*.

I will always suggest Easter Eggers (aka Americana, sometimes called Ameraucana but unless from a true SOP breeder they're just Easter Eggers ;D) Bantam or standard they're a little sassy and spicy but I love them! and they'll usually lay a coloured egg! (blues, greens, pinks, also possibly white, cream and brown!)

I also adore cochins, both bantam and standard! they're super sweet, I've loved all of mine <3 I'd look into what your local feedstores have in stock! by all means AVOID cornish cross!! Cornish X are NOT for pets or eggs and can ONLY be used for meat, it's very difficult to keep one past butcher date (~10 weeks old) and near impossible to keep them to adulthood and beyond :'(

*some breeds such as black and red sex links are easily sexed when young although can't be sexed as chicks, although a rare few like biefelders and cream legbars can be sexed as chicks! :D

Hello, welcome to the world of chickens. I too like Easter Eggers/ americaunas. If you hold them or give them attention from day one, they will want to cuddle with you like a dog. They are easily scared, which makes them like to stay close to me, they are constantly on the look out for danger. Very sweet birds. If I go into the house, they will wait for me outside the door like a dog!

Back
Top Bottom