We are Stumped - Who can help?

bjbingham

Chirping
5 Years
Mar 17, 2016
A friend picked these chicks up at a local store about 8 weeks ago. She said the name was a weird name and she was thinking it was a type of cross bred chicken. She bought them as layers, but we would really like to know what breed they are. I can get more pictures if requested.

Look like ISA Browns crosses, which means they would be easter eggers. They have a pea comb, but no muffs or beard which means they must be easter eggers.
I am getting really confused with the term 'easter egger'. Is this a general term or actual breed?

I am getting really confused with the term 'easter egger'.  Is this a general term or actual breed?

It's a general term... Easter Eggers are any type of mix that could have Ameraucana, Araucana or Cream Legbar mixed into the parentage... or even true Ameraucanas that have been bred mixing their colors...

Look like ISA Browns crosses, which means they would be easter eggers. They have a pea comb, but no muffs or beard which means they must be easter eggers.

I am getting really confused with the term 'easter egger'.  Is this a general term or actual breed?

To clarify what the poster was saying is that it looks like an ISA Brown except that it has a small beard/muffs... beard/muffs along with a pea comb generally indicates either Ameraucana or Easter Egger in its background somewhere... thus it is an Easter Egger as well...

Hope this helped... :)

Thank you RavynFallen!!!

Very welcome!

Also, just for future reference, most hatcheries/feed stores won't have either Ameraucanas or Araucanas... best to get those from a private breeder if you want the real deal... although, Cackle Hatchery has black Ameraucanas now... :)

Quote:
We got these from a hatchery that said they sale Araucanas. This is their description.

Aracaunas (Americaunas)
Araucanas, or the Easter Egg Chicken as they are commonly referred to, lay eggs in many shades of blue, green and pink. With the array of color these birds bring, in their feathering as well as their eggs, they make a favorite to add to any flock.
Araucana-Chick.jpg
Araucana-Rooster.jpg

We got these from a hatchery that said they sale Araucanas.  This is their description.

Aracaunas (Americaunas)
Araucanas, or the Easter Egg Chicken as they are commonly referred to, lay eggs in many shades of blue, green and pink. With the array of color these birds bring, in their feathering as well as their eggs, they make a favorite to add to any flock.
Araucana-Chick.jpg
Araucana-Rooster.jpg

Unfortunately, that is common in how hatcheries advertise them... the flags are using both Araucana and Ameraucana as same breed, they are not... Americana spelled with an I... lays different colored eggs... says Easter Egg or Easter Egger in any way... also no specific color specified for the bird... Ameraucanas and Araucanas are bred by colors so when listed for sale they will say something like Blue Ameraucana, Black Araucana, Wheaten Ameraucana, etc...

Unfortunately, that is common in how hatcheries advertise them... the flags are using both Araucana and Ameraucana as same breed, they are not... Americana spelled with an I... lays different colored eggs... says Easter Egg or Easter Egger in any way... also no specific color specified for the bird... Ameraucanas and Araucanas are bred by colors so when listed for sale they will say something like Blue Ameraucana, Black Araucana, Wheaten Ameraucana, etc...
Thank you - I am learning lots tonight.

Back
Top Bottom