we got our first eggs!! :-)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by aprild78, Aug 15, 2014.

1. aprild78

aprild78 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2014
    Washington state
    We finally discovered our first eggs yesterday. My daughters were beyond excited!! I think they have been there a day or two possibly. Are they still safe to eat? We found four eggs in the same spot, but three are dark brown and one is light brown. Could this be from the same chicken? I'm not totally convinced that one of our three chickens isn't a boy, but I figured he would be crowing by now? They are around 5 months old.

2. bigchickenjoe12

bigchickenjoe12 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 24, 2013
    Hollister,California
    The eggs are safe to eat make sure no punctures...the light brown egg can be the same breed because chickens lay all sorts of eggs, and the one chicken that didn't lay can possibly be a late comer.getting the first eggs are always exciting!

3. tcstoehr

tcstoehr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2014
    Canby, Oregon
    I just got my first egg yesterday, from a BA hen that I obtained as a chick in early March. I thought my BO that was the same age would be first but I was wrong. There were signs that the BA would lay. Her wattle was redder and more developed. Both of them had sung the "egg song". But the BA was also squatting on occasion. Yesterday, she had been doing the "egg song" and later went into the coop by herself and stayed for some time. It is unprecedented that she would separate herself from the flock for more than a few moments, but there she was. The other chickens came by from time to time to see what was going on. I waited outside for 30 minutes until she came out. I went in not sure what to find and there was a beautiful, well-formed, somewhat smallish egg. And afterwards I heard the REAL egg song, more like an egg opera compared to what I had heard before.
    The great thing is that even though they free-range with all kinds of secluded places where she could lay, she chose to go into the coop and lay the egg in the nesting box. I was pleasantly surprised by that. I guess the fake eggs and golf balls paid off.

4. char-angel

char-angel New Egg

Aug 15, 2014
    so how long is an egg good being outside? I couldn't find my girls nest and when I did, it had 6 eggs in it (laying one a day). I live in Austin and right now we are at 100 degree weather. Are these still good? Thanks for your help.

5. pineapple416

pineapple416 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2014
    Western Washington
    Google how to tell if an egg is fresh and it will say if it floats or sinks, I don't remember what it is but I have done it before and know it works!

6. Quickster

Quickster Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2014
    Floating is bad. As long as it has a tip touching the bottom of the container it is still good.

7. tcstoehr

tcstoehr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2014
    Canby, Oregon
    How long before one can expect the second egg? Is the cycle slower at the beginning?
    I got my first egg two days ago but none since.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by