We hatched our first chick today!! Question... pic added

Denece&Lacey

Songster
11 Years
Mar 17, 2008
Alvord, Tx
How long should I leave it in the incubator? I have one thats trying to hatch and isnt getting very far. How long could it take?
jumpy.gif

Last edited:
oh, congrats on your first chick! I don't know about your questions, but maybe a search will lead you to the answers if you don't get any responses soon? good luck!!!

chick can take 24 hours to hatch. first they break a small hole in the egg after resting for a couple hours they will rotate in the egg and make a pip exery time until they went all the way around, then they will pop off the top and push themselves out. the second step called zipping usually takes 45 minutes. the chick should stay in the incubator for 24 hours and then should be imediatly transported to the brooder with food water and a heat source but make sure that there are areas in the brooder that the chick can go to escape the heat lamp. when transporting the first chick, try to bring the second one along so the chick isnt alone, 24 hours can give r take depending on the chicks progress, good luck and next time be more prepared!

Thanks for the information. I just wanted to make sure I was doing it right. I was prepared. Our last eggs didnt hatch so I didnt want to lose this one. I was asking advice before I did anything. The 2nd chick is still working on it but he has one hole where his beak is out and he isnt trying to do the rest of it.

The chicks can stay in the bator for even 48 hours or a bit more if necessary.

It's more important that you not open the bator and let out the humidity at this point than getting the chick out. They can go at least 2 days on their absorbed yolk sac.

Congrats on your baby - hope the rest hatch out great for ya!

Thanks, me too!! Its been fun to watch. I just worry about the one who wont come out!!! Im sure it will be fine. I will let yall know. Thanks
jumpy.gif

Last edited:
I had a chick that I decided to help out cuz we were coming on the 24 hr mark. He hadn't absorbed his yolk yet and we lost it, so now I just sit on my hands and wait
smile.png
, the rest in the batch took forever but all came out fine
Krista

Ok, so I'm pretty new at this, but my question is what is a good hatch rate? If you have 30 eggs in your bator, how many should you expect to hatch? I don't know whether to be happy or not - I'm incubating guineas and have so far, about a 75% hatch rate. Is that acceptable?

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom