We have a Bloated Bird...

WingnutinMI

Hatching
8 Years
Jun 2, 2011
Went out to the shed today to find one 5 or 6 week old with swelled breasts. The bird appears "fine" and very uncomfortable...guess I would two if my breast was 3 times its normal size. What can cause this, but more importantly is there a cure?? We are new to this experience and any help could and would be greatly appreciated. I really do not want to put the bird down but
......Thanks

kimntep

Songster
9 Years
Dec 30, 2010
Ocala, Florida
Is it more swollen on one side or the other? Could it be a full or impacted crop? If it had just eaten a lot, the breast area would look bigger than usual. I hope it's nothing serious.

WingnutinMI

Hatching
8 Years
Jun 2, 2011
Yes more swollen on the right side. Her appetite appears normal...maybe that is the issue....If it is an impacted crop how would I "fix" this issue? She has been seperated for some time due to a tail plucking...not much variety in her diet....Thanks

kimntep

Songster
9 Years
Dec 30, 2010
Ocala, Florida
That's her crop. Has it gone down at all or is it always swollen? Can u show us a pic? For now, I'd try to get a little olive oil in her mouth to help lube everything up and give her a gentle massage to possibly help get things moving.

WingnutinMI

Hatching
8 Years
Jun 2, 2011

Picture of our baby with the swollen breast. Upon further review there is a sloshing noise if you wiggle her...really concerned, fed her some olive oil, took away the food. Hope the picture comes out.

texaschickmom

Songster
10 Years
Nov 4, 2009
Lindale, TX
I'm also having impacted problems with one of my chicks. In fact, I've never seen so many crop "questions" on this forum before! It's an epidemic! I pulled mine out and put in isolation yesterday in a dog crate with nothering but water with ACV in it and trying to get olive oil down and massage the crop. You'll know more tomorrow when you check her. I hope it's gone...keep us posted. Good luck!

kimntep

Songster
9 Years
Dec 30, 2010
Ocala, Florida
That looks and sounds like "sour crop." The crop should not be squishy and sloshy. Do a search here and you'll find lots of help. Get it quick and she should be ok. Keep using the ACV, a tablespoon per gallon, and good luck!

texaschickmom

Songster
10 Years
Nov 4, 2009
Lindale, TX
Just wondering how your chicken is doing today? Is her crop smaller? If so...any advice? I've got the same thing going on, Day 3 and still no better.

WingnutinMI

Hatching
8 Years
Jun 2, 2011
her crop is getting smaller but not at the speed I want
I have her just on water/vits/and acv at the moment as she is doing a fine job cleaning up the cage. The Misses moved her to a dog carrier earlier today just to get here to slow down. I have been doing the olive oil massage thing. She is squirting runny inconsistance poos so I am guessing she is starting to break...keeping my eyes on her more now that work is done for the week...

texaschickmom

Songster
10 Years
Nov 4, 2009
Lindale, TX
Thanks for your response. I think I messed up yesterday by giving my chick a tiny bit of scrambled egg mixed with plain yogurt. This morning her crop is bigger than yesterday. So I guess I'll go back to water with ACV, a little olive oil and massaging the crop. I hope we can pull these chicks through this.

Top Bottom