We Have a New Roo

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by akcskye, Sep 10, 2007.

1. akcskye

akcskye Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    Well, we found what appears to be a very suitable Roo at the Feed Store.

There is a person who sells to the feed store when his hens lay...and this little guy, who we call Christopher William (Christopher after my kid's basketball coach who is long and stringy like a chicken...and William after William Shatner...as he seems FULL of machismo...haha).

I'm not sure the breed, I'll try to post a picture soon.

He is black, has feathers on his feet, but his feathers are like a male Australorp would be...a beautiful green sheen on them.

His tail is like Billy's...like an Orpington...yet, he has some "blond highlights" on the tips of his neck feathers.

Oh does he think he's something, too!

We kept him away from the rest of the flock for a week, and then put his pen inside their pen...that was fine until we let him out in the pen...when my ladies turned into what could best be described as Japanese Fighting Hens...LOL They seriously stretched their necks out, puffed the feathers on their heads, and jump/scratched at him...just like you see on the oriental pictures sometimes!

So, we removed him...and waited until the next day, when we let them free range...and then he'd strut up to them and flare his wings and dance...he'd go in circles like he was saying "well hey there pretty lady!" and finally, they let him do his deed...and he does it...over and over again...haha

He's so small (feed store guy thinks he's a "banty rooster") compared to them, but he's only about 6 months old...his spur area doesn't even have "bone" yet.

So anyway...as much as we miss Billy, we are glad to have Chris...so I just wanted to share the news.

2. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Sounds like he's going to be alot of fun to have around. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by