We have babies!

I vote violet; my 1st reaction before reading your note was remembering us digging through photos trying to determine what Violet was.- And these pics made me deliriously happy and kinda melancholy at the same time.
The little white one should be Marilyn or Monroe, for the record, fluffing up her flirty feathers with a smile like she's about to take a bow.
I'm thrilled that your adults are stepping up like my boys did, and even more thrilled that you're SEEING it. Makes me feel less like the crazy bird lady. Lol.
Starla sounds like she's communicating quite clearly; all it took was one thunk from PJ and keets automatically understood the message, whether it was "get back in that kennel" or "stay in line!" or "don't even THINK of running ahead of me!" Heck, I understood, and I wasn't the one being thunked!:gig
In any event, you have a gorgeous, healthy brood. I wouldn't worry too much about Lil Bit's size at this point. For Nug, it just meant he got away with a lot of shenanigans.😉

I vote violet; my 1st reaction before reading your note was remembering us digging through photos trying to determine what Violet was.- And these pics made me deliriously happy and kinda melancholy at the same time.
The little white one should be Marilyn or Monroe, for the record, fluffing up her flirty feathers with a smile like she's about to take a bow.
I'm thrilled that your adults are stepping up like my boys did, and even more thrilled that you're SEEING it. Makes me feel less like the crazy bird lady. Lol.
Starla sounds like she's communicating quite clearly; all it took was one thunk from PJ and keets automatically understood the message, whether it was "get back in that kennel" or "stay in line!" or "don't even THINK of running ahead of me!" Heck, I understood, and I wasn't the one being thunked!:gig
In any event, you have a gorgeous, healthy brood. I wouldn't worry too much about Lil Bit's size at this point. For Nug, it just meant he got away with a lot of shenanigans.😉
Well the adults have been better, but the roosting situation is infuriating! Why do they feel compelled to peck the poor little keets that are next to them on the roost??? My interventions have not been so helpful as it just makes the adults restless and shift roosts, then they move and knock a different keet off… I have 7 roosts that are 8 feet long each, so 56 feet of roost space. One roost is nearly empty. Plus I added a 1 ft and a 2.5 ft shelf when I saw we were having roost issues. The adults co-opted the 2.5 ft shelf and now half of the keets ended up up on the 2x4 board that makes up the end plate of the coop, so they are right against the plastic I put over the upper vents. I don’t think I’m explaining it well… Anyway, not a particularly warm spot or great during a thunderstorm, like tonight!

I could maybe name a white keet Monroe but Marilyn was the name my daughter gave her very favorite chicken, a lovely and sweet showgirl (see pic). Marilyn passed from Marek’s disease too young and my daughter was heartbroken (as was I, she was a wonderful little bird), so that name is off limits. Monroe could work though!

Yeah, I guess Starla is saying something to the keets… She’s usually pretty good to them, but just as bad as the rest for the roosting chaos. I’ve noticed though that only Welch seems to really speak to the keets. She can make an assembly call that brings them all to her, plus that “danger, take cover call”, but the other adults don’t seem to have any special keet directing skills.

I’m trying not to do too much naming until the keets get a little older for superstitious reasons. Still a lot that could go wrong for them. Somehow, half of the keets plus a few adults (TG) ended up in the rooster pen today, and I had to herd them all out. I also had to get them out of the fenced garden, where one panicked and wedged itself into the fence hole! I had a moment of panic myself when I couldn’t push it through or back… :duc Welch came running to attack me because baby was screaming bloody murder, and I finally was able to push the freaked out keet back just before Welch nailed my hand that was cupping the stuck keet!

Attachments

• F18403EE-B9AB-4E82-9822-2AC993F6B86F.jpeg
    F18403EE-B9AB-4E82-9822-2AC993F6B86F.jpeg
    719.4 KB · Views: 3
Well the adults have been better, but the roosting situation is infuriating! Why do they feel compelled to peck the poor little keets that are next to them on the roost??? My interventions have not been so helpful as it just makes the adults restless and shift roosts, then they move and knock a different keet off… I have 7 roosts that are 8 feet long each, so 56 feet of roost space. One roost is nearly empty. Plus I added a 1 ft and a 2.5 ft shelf when I saw we were having roost issues. The adults co-opted the 2.5 ft shelf and now half of the keets ended up up on the 2x4 board that makes up the end plate of the coop, so they are right against the plastic I put over the upper vents. I don’t think I’m explaining it well… Anyway, not a particularly warm spot or great during a thunderstorm, like tonight!

I could maybe name a white keet Monroe but Marilyn was the name my daughter gave her very favorite chicken, a lovely and sweet showgirl (see pic). Marilyn passed from Marek’s disease too young and my daughter was heartbroken (as was I, she was a wonderful little bird), so that name is off limits. Monroe could work though!

Yeah, I guess Starla is saying something to the keets… She’s usually pretty good to them, but just as bad as the rest for the roosting chaos. I’ve noticed though that only Welch seems to really speak to the keets. She can make an assembly call that brings them all to her, plus that “danger, take cover call”, but the other adults don’t seem to have any special keet directing skills.

I’m trying not to do too much naming until the keets get a little older for superstitious reasons. Still a lot that could go wrong for them. Somehow, half of the keets plus a few adults (TG) ended up in the rooster pen today, and I had to herd them all out. I also had to get them out of the fenced garden, where one panicked and wedged itself into the fence hole! I had a moment of panic myself when I couldn’t push it through or back… :duc Welch came running to attack me because baby was screaming bloody murder, and I finally was able to push the freaked out keet back just before Welch nailed my hand that was cupping the stuck keet!
Yikes! Thank goodness Rosie hasn't done that! I've been bit, which they quickly learn is pointless bc it has zero affect, and had air strikes, but not pecked.
The most entertaining was when Rosie would call them & 14 little keets would line up like classroom desks, sit down, neck straight, and stare right at her while she was chattering away. I always wondered what she was saying.
Our set ups are different so what worked for me may not be feasible for you. When it was just Nug, he got his special shelf. But Rosie didn't want Bella's keets with hers, so I did a 2 story - ran a roost along the edge above in the run that they could have as a safe place bc the bigger birds couldn't get on it -not enough room. At night they just hopped back and forth between the 2 roosts in the coop until everyone settled in.
But Rosie was the same, she didn't want Bella or Mouse or Bella's keets roosting by her, and she'd peck. She either wanted the roost to herself or to be against the wall w/PJ at her side. She'd step over everyone else to make it that way. Lol.
She lets Bella's keet roost next to her now but she still pecks it through out the day, I guess just to remind her that she's unworthy.
Maybe a roost below the adults that's shifted enough that they won't get pooed on? I had that until I learned abt the sanity of drop boards, then it took that space. Or, I think @R2elk has one, where it's about 3'-4' wide with 3 rungs, I think, and just leans against the wall like a ladder? That shld work for keets. I asked Himself to make one, and he made them a picnic table instead. 🤷‍♀️🤣

6 week update: we still have 10 babies! But, I continue my concern for Lil Bit. The keet roosts and forages with its siblings, but it’s still undersized. Yesterday morning was cool (45 F) and I though LB looked a little rough. I’ve been locking all guineas in until 8:30 AM, around an hour after sunrise so things warm up a little. Things are still wet and not very warm at 8:30, so today I changed to 8:45 AM, plus I added a chick waterer with warm Nutridrench water in the coop at 8 AM. I’m hoping that the extra warmth and nutrition will help Lil Bit.

The keets are very well integrated into the flock. All adults look after them, gather around to shield them from threats, share food (mostly), etc. When foraging, the keets will follow any adult, though mom Welch usually has a few nearby. They tend to disperse throughout adults rather than bunch up together. It’s interesting how much this group are the “flock’s keets” rather than Welch’s keets. This is different from the last few years where keets usually stuck with mom and were on the periphery of the flock. I am guessing that the keets joining the flock when they were no longer paired but operating as one big flock may have made a difference.

The only time adults are mean to keets is when roosting. Some adults are tolerant but most will peck them to drive them away from their roost. I’ve added some more roosts, but plan to continue that this weekend.

Attachments

• 2CE68CC8-C3D9-4AA2-8877-01889750B00A.jpeg
    2CE68CC8-C3D9-4AA2-8877-01889750B00A.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 4
  • E5E38D9F-DF15-4450-8BC1-71BFE9F66C1E.jpeg
    E5E38D9F-DF15-4450-8BC1-71BFE9F66C1E.jpeg
    726.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 8D983113-7856-4FA7-8226-3EB81462C8F3.jpeg
    8D983113-7856-4FA7-8226-3EB81462C8F3.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 3
  • 19FF13B1-EAE2-4643-8C14-A62FFC0D3D7B.jpeg
    19FF13B1-EAE2-4643-8C14-A62FFC0D3D7B.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 3
  • 6C60CDBB-BA1C-47DC-87EA-99709BE30EEB.jpeg
    6C60CDBB-BA1C-47DC-87EA-99709BE30EEB.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 4
  • 56D97781-553B-4301-AA9A-E2D25A20DB6C.jpeg
    56D97781-553B-4301-AA9A-E2D25A20DB6C.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 3
  • EB623B87-FD0F-4D22-B8DF-1A8ECDF64827.jpeg
    EB623B87-FD0F-4D22-B8DF-1A8ECDF64827.jpeg
    773.4 KB · Views: 3
  • 36F1FF5E-48BD-4B6A-B706-C17D47FE0DBB.jpeg
    36F1FF5E-48BD-4B6A-B706-C17D47FE0DBB.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 3
6 week update: we still have 10 babies! But, I continue my concern for Lil Bit. The keet roosts and forages with its siblings, but it’s still undersized. Yesterday morning was cool (45 F) and I though LB looked a little rough. I’ve been locking all guineas in until 8:30 AM, around an hour after sunrise so things warm up a little. Things are still wet and not very warm at 8:30, so today I changed to 8:45 AM, plus I added a chick waterer with warm Nutridrench water in the coop at 8 AM. I’m hoping that the extra warmth and nutrition will help Lil Bit.

The keets are very well integrated into the flock. All adults look after them, gather around to shield them from threats, share food (mostly), etc. When foraging, the keets will follow any adult, though mom Welch usually has a few nearby. They tend to disperse throughout adults rather than bunch up together. It’s interesting how much this group are the “flock’s keets” rather than Welch’s keets. This is different from the last few years where keets usually stuck with mom and were on the periphery of the flock. I am guessing that the keets joining the flock when they were no longer paired but operating as one big flock may have made a difference.

The only time adults are mean to keets is when roosting. Some adults are tolerant but most will peck them to drive them away from their roost. I’ve added some more roosts, but plan to continue that this weekend.
She/he will be for awhile, but she'll catch up. (Remember I've been reading all of these disease books). They've been out w/the adults the whole time so you've kind of bypassed the last peak of keat mortality..geeze, me giving YOU advice..🤦‍♀️ :gig

She/he will be for awhile, but she'll catch up. (Remember I've been reading all of these disease books). They've been out w/the adults the whole time so you've kind of bypassed the last peak of keat mortality..geeze, me giving YOU advice..🤦‍♀️ :gig
I can’t help but worry for Lil Bit! Geez, I never should have named that keet!!! :th It is growing, but still so much smaller than the others. A couple of the other keets look like monsters next to LB!!! The closest in size is little Monroe, which is probably about 50-75% bigger. The largest looks about three times bigger!

I can’t help but worry for Lil Bit! Geez, I never should have named that keet!!! :th It is growing, but still so much smaller than the others. A couple of the other keets look like monsters next to LB!!! The closest in size is little Monroe, which is probably about 50-75% bigger. The largest looks about three times bigger!
Ahem..."Nugget". Nuff said. Lol

8 week update: We still have 10 babies! They still look like babies to me, but I excitedly showed them to some visitors who were like “Where are the babies??” :th I’ve named some and identified three as female. I’ll try the inserting picture thing again:

Lil Bit is on the left. LB is still small next to Cinnamon, who is the chocolate? colored girl keetager on the right. Nights have gotten colder, down to high 30s, and mornings are cool and damp with lots of dew on the ground. Nonetheless, LB seems to be holding its own.:fl

CBF3DD1D-BD88-43CC-9792-6ED40EB412DD.jpeg

Pied royal purple on left, pinto RP, named Surplice, on right. I thought I would name it “Pinto” but the frilly ring of white feathers kept reminding me of the surplice garment that an alter server wears…
E96F3249-7A74-462A-BEA1-858B6A314923.jpeg

Assorted keetagers! Two violets, solid RPs, a white… I think the big RP on the left is Loudmouth, but I can only tell them apart when she’s sounding off. One violet is a girl but I can’t tell her apart from her sibling either and no names for the violets yet! Any suggestions? One white keet is Dot for the forehead dot I can’t see anymore and one white is Monroe, named by Sydney; of course I can’t tell the two whites apart anymore.🤦‍♀️
D2859B6F-1DA2-443B-9A2D-FFE5E61A2E6F.jpeg

Loudmouth, Cinnamon, and unnamed violet trying to sneak past my scary camera phone:
D2DFB826-D291-40C9-8731-CEE765C96B0F.jpeg

Another scary camera pic with adult RP Kingpin. Kingpin has been one of the cocks who has been wonderful with the keets! Splash and Bruiser have also been excellent with them. The other guys are ok with them but will peck and chase if the keets are in their space. Interestingly, the hens that were aggressive with the keets, like Lemon Pie, Scout Red, and Pearl, were marginalized to the outside of the flock, spatially separated from the keets, despite their usually high rank. Starla and Scout Orange are hens that have been particularly good with the keets as well. Mom Welch is still very interested in the keets, but usually leaves them to the flock to manage.
4EEA1582-3BD5-4BB4-A6D5-B0718DFD4CCF.jpeg

Adult hens that are RP, Slate, and Violet colored. I love how you can see the mix of their old, faded feathers mixed in with their new, bright feathers. Slate is one of my all time favorite colors and I wish I had more in that color! This hen (Slate aka Starla) had faded to a beautiful, luminous light bluish grey that looked like starlight to me, but now is getting her darker steel blue feathers back. Her sister Violet still shows the reddish clay color that her feathers had faded to, but they are getting replaced by the dark lavender grey of her new feathers.
D34B7C8E-87A6-4347-8735-DF79E7629157.jpeg

Lil Bit is on the left. LB is still small next to Cinnamon, who is the chocolate? colored girl keetager on the right. Nights have gotten colder, down to high 30s, and mornings are cool and damp with lots of dew on the ground. Nonetheless, LB seems to be holding its own.:fl
cbf3dd1d-bd88-43cc-9792-6ed40eb412dd-jpeg.2888639
The one on the right in this picture is not a Chocolate. It appears to be fully pearled. Chocolates are semi pearled.
Pied royal purple on left, pinto RP, named Surplice, on right. I thought I would name it “Pinto” but the frilly ring of white feathers kept reminding me of the surplice garment that an alter server wears…
e96f3249-7a74-462a-bea1-858b6a314923-jpeg.2888641
These appear to be fully pearled which means they are not Royal Purples.

8 week update: We still have 10 babies! They still look like babies to me, but I excitedly showed them to some visitors who were like “Where are the babies??” :th I’ve named some and identified three as female. I’ll try the inserting picture thing again:

View attachment 2888639

View attachment 2888641

Assorted keetagers! Two violets, solid RPs, a white… I think the big RP on the left is Loudmouth, but I can only tell them apart when she’s sounding off. One violet is a girl but I can’t tell her apart from her sibling either and no names for the violets yet! Any suggestions? One white keet is Dot for the forehead dot I can’t see anymore and one white is Monroe, named by Sydney; of course I can’t tell the two whites apart anymore.🤦‍♀️
View attachment 2888643

Loudmouth, Cinnamon, and unnamed violet trying to sneak past my scary camera phone:
View attachment 2888653

Another scary camera pic with adult RP Kingpin. Kingpin has been one of the cocks who has been wonderful with the keets! Splash and Bruiser have also been excellent with them. The other guys are ok with them but will peck and chase if the keets are in their space. Interestingly, the hens that were aggressive with the keets, like Lemon Pie, Scout Red, and Pearl, were marginalized to the outside of the flock, spatially separated from the keets, despite their usually high rank. Starla and Scout Orange are hens that have been particularly good with the keets as well. Mom Welch is still very interested in the keets, but usually leaves them to the flock to manage.
View attachment 2888660

Adult hens that are RP, Slate, and Violet colored. I love how you can see the mix of their old, faded feathers mixed in with their new, bright feathers. Slate is one of my all time favorite colors and I wish I had more in that color! This hen (Slate aka Starla) had faded to a beautiful, luminous light bluish grey that looked like starlight to me, but now is getting her darker steel blue feathers back. Her sister Violet still shows the reddish clay color that her feathers had faded to, but they are getting replaced by the dark lavender grey of her new feathers.
View attachment 2888665
I love the coloring!! They look painted. Silly, Monroe will be the one who smiles and bows. Such beautiful birds.
Thinking of going to pet shop for ceramic not light heat bulb for reptiles. Stinkers kept wandering out of MHP last night and getting cold so I ended up sleeping in recliner with them in their flower on my chest w/the corner of a different heating pad over them. THEY slept great.

Back
Top Bottom