We Have Duck Eggs!

treldib

Songster
9 Years
Jul 5, 2010
Southern California
I was refilling the food bowl in the ducks' run and saw something sticking out of the mud, I thought "Wow thats a shiny rock" but upon closer it was an egg! It was really mushy and soft almost like a beanbag. I looked inside the duck house and found 8 more eggs!
celebrate.gif
wee.gif
woot.gif

9 eggs total! Since we have no idea how old they are we didn't eat them. There were 7 good, healthy looking eggs; a really soft, leathery one (laid today...too weird to eat) ;and a shelless egg. We threw out the weird ones and then cracked a few of the good eggs. The yoke is huge! We ended up blowing 2 of the eggs...one pure white (probably from the Golden 300) and the other slightly Blue (probably from the Black Swede). Stupid me for only checking the nest boxes and not the floor of their duck house. Their new Layena food, as well as a light bulb to give them 14 hours of light must have started them! Almost exactly 20 weeks!
Pics soon!
woot.gif

Last edited:
I know duck eggs are great .... I brought home a trio of k.campells yesterday an I got my first egg today ... I was so egg-cited ....
wee.gif

I ate first thing with french toast ... I love my duck eggs ... an then I went an traded four pekin hens for my loan peacock ... good times
ya.gif

lol.png
CONGRATS on the eggs. My babies are 12 weeks old and I cant wait for them to start laying. Im looking forward to green eggs..well...not green eggs, but green egg shells. I have 20 females and only 9 are laying, just now I go out with a plastic dish to collect eggs when I let them out in the morning. Ill soon be going out with a bucket when they all start laying
big_smile.png

I sell my duck eggs so it pays for all their feed and shavings and so far has been paying for my horse feed too. I also sell stuff at the jockey lot and it goes into my DUCK FUND!!! DH thinks I have $45 in there....if thats what he thinks then Im willing to let him think that
lau.gif

Quote:
Oh my...you traded Pekins....darn, wish I could find some Pekins for sale. The last twice I was looking for Pekins I came home with 8 Khakis then I came home with 3 Swede x Pekins and Im still looking for more Pekins.....Wonder what I will come home with next, bet it wont be Pekins
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom