We have no idea!

AJBergman

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 15, 2014
We bought our chicks at Tractor Supply Co., and they are about seven weeks old now. The lady at TSC told us they would be great as layers but we never knew what breed, or gender. We're chicken rookies and want to take good care of them, and have them as layers.

Here's some pictures I have. They're mostly white, with some specks of black on the tips of some feathers. One of them has some light brown coming in, and another seems to be all white. Can you help us identify them?

I read on here that they might be hybrids. Either way, is there anything special we need to know about raising them?

Thank you!!! This site has been amazing in our journey of raising chickens!

Maybe Dixie Rainbows... No two are alike. A friend of mine just got 6 from TSC. I'm not familiar with the breed but I'm sure u can google any info u need. Good luck! :)

Thank you!
After googling and spending time on TSC's website I am confident they're Leghorns. The lady at TSC told us when we got them that they'd have mainly large white eggs, and from what I'm finding about leghorns they can be different colors and lay white eggs. Is this sounding right?

welcome-byc.gif

It looks like you have a few different hybrids, all based on Leghorns. Not pure leghorns, but definitely based on that breed. I'm not great on names for all the hybrids the hatcheries are coming out with, but I'm thinking something like Austra whites for the black feathered ones, and amberlinks maybe, for the brown ones.

Since they're leghorns mixed with a brown egg layer, you'll likely get light brown or cream colored eggs, not the stark white of a leghorn. You'll also get more of the production of a leghorn, a higher rate of lay. The brown layer side also tends to add some mellow-ness to the leghorn's typical flighty attitude. These crosses make for great backyard birds! No special instructions for raising or caring for them, general chicken info applies. Hybirds are usually pretty hardy animals, so that can be a bonus, too!

From what I've read, they look like Tetra tints - a cross between a white leghorn and an RIR. They can be solid white or white with black spots or brown coloring.

Some of them look like could be Amber Whites. You might have to see what color egg they lay before deciding what breed they are.

Back
Top Bottom