We have our first 2 chicks!

BelmontFarm

In the Brooder
Mar 10, 2020
A little over 24 hours ago, our first Ayam chick hatched and then almost 24 hours after that, our #2 hatched. We have #1 in the brooder because s/he seemed distressed after 24 hours and for whatever reason, the 21 eggs are hatching far apart from each other. Anyway, we bumped up the humidity and in about 2 seconds, got #1 out and didn't disrupt the heat nor humidity. Shortly afterwards, #2 hatched. We are on day 22 and still waiting to see when the other 18 eggs will pip and hatch.

ayam1c.jpg

Chick #1 is VERY vocal! I finally got him taught how to drink and eat. S/he was having trouble eating the chick feed, so I put some water in it and made it softer. I also wanted to be sure s/he was getting water so as not to get pasty butt. Is that okay and if so, how long can I do that before it should be expected to eat the hard stuff? S/he seems to understand eating and drinking now and the chirping settled down, but when I left the brooding box, s/he started going crazy again. It's like it's not happy unless I'm right there talking to it and allowing it to sit in my hand. lol All the temps are good in the brooder, so I'm not sure what's wrong or if it's just spoiled already. I put a couple branches in for roosting, a towel that I shaped into a nest, and hubby is bringing home a couple items - a bird toy and a mirror. I wonder if it's just lonely? I hope to move chick #2 over to the brooder soon once it seems dry enough and rested from the hatching.

ayam1b.jpg

Are we doing things right? Any suggestions in regards to the softened food and moving them to the brooder before all the eggs are hatched as long as we are careful about not allowing temps/humidity to drop. Thank you!!!

ayam1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom