We inherited the flock ...now what

RooBarbRanch

Hatching
7 Years
Jun 5, 2012
We are new to BYC, as well as chicken keeping. I was raised on a cattle ranch and though we kids always wanted chickens my mom wouldn't hear of it (she was raised on the same ranch and I think she was stuck with the coop cleaning chores.). I am also trained as a vet tech but my avian experience is limited to my schooling ...12 years ago.

We includes myself, my husband, and our seven children aged 10 to the youngest due in December. We have six acres in Colorado and decided we were going to get some chicken ...eventually.

We ended up inheriting 14 chickens and a rooster which we added to our two pet geese. We are still trying to catch our knowledge of all things chicken up to our sudden acquisition. The birds have a safe coop with plenty of food, water and room. Otherwise we are still figuring out what they need from us. I have no idea as to their history or age, so where do I begin? Worming? Vaccinations? How do I trim that roosters spurs? (He is quite friendly, easy to catch and handle and I don't want any of us, especially the kids, to end up on his bad side, because he didn't care for the treatment ...or he'll end up in the pot!)

That it in a nut shell.

Hi ya'll
welcome-byc.gif

Start with a good de-worming, they probably haven't had one...Valbazen is good.... Check for lice/mites, provide a place to dust bathe (it's fun to watch!)

I don't trim spurs.... If the roo is friendly, he'll most likely stay that way. They seem to be born either friendly or aggressive and they don't seem inclined to change...

I love your screen name "RooBarb" Ranch - cool :) I think you'll find a good group here, I've learned so much! - We almost have to become our own vets, avian vets are few, far between and expensive!

frow.gif
welcome-byc.gif
from washington state glad you joined us!
Everything you need to know is here on byc! Trimming spurs is easy. I use horse nippers and as long as you don't cut all of the spur off they don't bleed, this way it dulls the end or you can take a pair of pliers and gently twist the spur until you hear a pop and the whole spur comes right off and leaves a soft spur that bleeds very little (you will have to isolate the roo after this is done so the hens don't peck at it) good luck!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom