1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

We look like snowy calls but we are not snowy calls....what are we???

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Fudgie, Jan 3, 2009.

1. Fudgie

Fudgie Hatching Queen - Got Fudge?

What kind of duck are we? Our owners acquired us today and they want to know what we are. We are half again the size of calls.

[​IMG]

2. petitesphinx

petitesphinx Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2008
    Alabama
    Cute, whatever they may be!

=-)

3. tonini3059

tonini3059 [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Luv

Nov 6, 2008
    Southwestern PA
    looks kind of like a silver call a bit. It may even be a mix are you sure they are pure?

4. tonini3059

tonini3059 [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Luv

Nov 6, 2008
    Southwestern PA
  5. cthrash1

cthrash1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Somerset, KY
    Doesn't look anything like my Silver Calls at all..But is a beautiful pair... [​IMG]

ETA: Just looked at the link and to me mine look more like the fawn as light gray as they are. The guy said they were silvers though, unless maybe their full color comes in later, they are light grey and white right now...Hmmm!

Last edited: Jan 3, 2009
  6. flyingmonkeypoop

flyingmonkeypoop Overrun With Chickens

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    Snowy Mallards!!! The reason they dont look anything like calls is because they arent. If you look at the head it is more racy and the bill is longer and all. You are lucky, there are many people that said snowy calls were 'extinct' almost. They are in the SOP and all. Congrats on the great find.

7. Chic-n-farmer

Chic-n-farmer Showers of Blessings

I just got these Snowy Calls on New Year's Eve. This is my first time for them. They look pretty much the same as the web photos I've seen for Snowys
    [​IMG]

8. nettie

nettie Enslaved by Indoor Ducks

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    they also kinda look like mini silver appleyards... maybe they are a mix? are they loud like calls or quiet?

9. Fudgie

Fudgie Hatching Queen - Got Fudge?

I was wondering about them maybe being appleyards but have not been able to find a decent picture of any. They are not that loud but they are a little scared still. I will update tomorrow because they are spending the night in the house until we get the spare brooder house cleaned out to keep them separate from the other kids!

I love em they are cute. [​IMG]

10. giffy

giffy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2008
    The ducks (hen) head doesn't show all the color but I would lean more toward the Silver Bantam............they are too big for a Snowy Call, and the bill doesn't have the "all Mallard" shape.

At one time they were referred to as Mini-Silver Apps but now there is an exact mini version of the Appleyards.

Here is a page I have on them:
    www.giffsfarm.com/silverbantam.html

giffy
    ----------------

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by