1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

We Lost a Hen...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Chick_a_dee, Sep 14, 2009.

1. Chick_a_dee

Chick_a_dee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Peterborough, ON
    I went to collect eggs today and found one of our hens dead in the corner under the roosts. I was going to do a necropsy, but didn't end up doing it because my mum was far too upset over it. I felt around her abdomen and it felt a lot like she may have layed internally.

Also, I dusted with Dri-Kill today and cleaned out the coop and dusted that as well. How often should I repeat the dusting after this time? I was thinking of cleaning out again on Sunday (I'm worming too) and dusting everyone/the coop as well as the run. I think we are confirmed on mites, mum said when she was cleaning out the coop she noticed tiny little brown bugs in the shavings. I have filled the nest boxes with shavings this time.

Is there anything else I should try, perhaps an oral that kills mites as well? I think I read somewhere there is an Ivermectin that does this, or am I totally losing it?

I'm also performing some bumblefoot procedures this weekend, I have manicure scissors, tweezers, and epsom salts. Is there anything else I need? I saw this stuff at the co-op this afternoon that was an anti-septic, should I purchase some of this to dowse their feet with?

2. princess araucana

princess araucana Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2008
    Rhode Island
    sorry to hear about your loss!
    I do not have any experience/ advice on the bugs, but you definitely need some regular neosporin or triple antibiotic ointment with out pain killers to pack into the bumblefoot hole. (from what I have read)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by