We lost Mildred last night **update - she came home!!**

horsejody

Squeaky Wheel
11 Years
Feb 11, 2008
Waterloo, Nebraska
Last night Mildred didn't come in. It was still light out, but everybody else was in. Midred doesn't always stay with the flock. She usually stays with Buffy or Queenie, but they were both in trying to go broodie. We went looking for her and heard squawking in the tree line. There were no feathers or mess of any kind. I thing a coyote grabbed her and ran, or possibly a dog. We shot a coyote in the yard last year. I keep hoping I'm wrong and she will wander in, but I know that's a long shot

Last edited:
Awww, poor Mildred, and poor you too. I'm sorry to hear of this loss. The sad reality to keeping chickens is their vulnerability, and some of them don't help their cause by wandering out where they shouldn't. I do pray that by some miracle Mildred will reappear unharmed, I always love it when a bird I've written off as lost somehow returns. Bless you & the rest of your flocks & herds...

so sorry that you lost a hen.its strange that you would hear something get her while you was out at the henhouse.

Quote:
Actually it was behind the horse barn in a dense tree line. I was just walking out that way to look for Mildred. There are a few bold coyotes around here. We had some city people move in near us that thought it would be fun to feed the wildlife, coyotes included. Now they are bold and have no fear of people. DH shot one last year in the backyard in broad daylight (coyote - not the city people). It was coming up to "visit" my little dog. When I ran out to shoo it away, it got excited and started watching my hands and begging the way a dog does when you are throwing food to it. It had no fear of me and got within a few yards. There are too many small children and pets around here to tolerate that. DH got the gun and shot it. I dread to think what would have happened if a small child had been out there.

Thank God!! Midred came home last night!! she was gone two nights!! We heard the screams and everything. She seems fine. I can't beleive it. Best of all, she seems fine.

Quote:
Congrats, oneof my roosters disaperred and almost a week later came back. I wasn't expecting him to come back.

Congrats again on finding Medrid.

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
Congrats. I hope I have the same luck as you with my poor Guineas!
hit.gif
fl.gif

And just FYI the following quote:

"There were no documented coyote attacks on humans in Washington state until 2006. In April 2006, Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife officers euthanized two coyotes in Bellevue (King County)after two young children were bitten while their parents were nearby. Coyotes had also scratched and snapped at two women and charged a man in the same area. These coyotes’ unusually aggressive behavior likely resulted from being fed by people."

was found at: http://wdfw.wa.gov/wlm/living/coyotes.htm

and
they have a lot of good info on what to do if approached by a coyote.

Last edited:
Quote:
Not true.

http://tchester.org/sgm/lists/coyote_attacks.html

Here are some quotes from this link:

Coyotes have justifiably a huge fear of humans. Usually coyote attacks on people occur when a coyote has become comfortable around people, often as a result of people feeding them.

7/20/95. Fifteen-month-old Erica Galvin of Reno, Nev., suffered seven puncture wounds to her right thigh when a coyote sneaked up on her about 4 p.m. Thursday near the merry-go-round and tennis courts at Griffith Park in Los Angeles. The coyote was scared away by her mother.

10/96? (< 4/11/97). A 40-year-old woman jogger in Benkelman, Nebraska, was bitten on the leg when a coyote attacked her as she jogged around an athletic track. (Animal Damage Control Program of the USDA

Here is another article.

http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/show/65267.html

There are other documented attacks also, especially on children.

Under normal circumstances coyotes will not attack people, but these have learned to associate people with food and are no longer afraid of humans.

Back
Top Bottom