we love chickens, squirrels and wild birds. how do they mix?

Roger-B

In the Brooder
12 Years
Oct 14, 2007
We are thinking of installing a squirrel feeder and squirrel house in our outdoor chicken run. Are we asking for trouble? if not, what sort of feed should we use for the squirrels?. Are there any foods for squirrels that are not good for chickens?, since we are sure some of the squirrel food will be dropped onto the surface of the run. Another option would be to install a wild bird feeder in this area in the run, since our cat does not like to socialize with the chickens. Can anyone imagine a problem from doing this? many thanks for any advice from those with any experience to share.

My gut reaction is that it is not a good idea to put the feeders anywhere near your chickens. Squirrls are messy, spilled grain invites mice and rats, and they bring disease and snakes who feed on them. I dont think that the feed itself would be harmful, but other problems could arise like mites etc... Same for wild bird feeders. Wild birds are vectors for disease. I would find a nice spot well away from your run to feed your wild friends
smile.png

edited for spelling

Last edited:
Enjoy and feed the squirrels and wild birds well away from your chickens.

menageriemama is correct. The wild birds especially can carry disease easily passed on to your chickens.

Plus, once they run out of grain you're feeding them, they'll go mingle with your birds and eat up all your expensive chicken food while leaving behind nasties. You can get feather mites from wild birds too.

Back
Top Bottom