We may be having chicken soup for dinner...

kimice

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 30, 2011
So, my 17 mo old daughter and I were walking around the barn while her dad was cutting the grass. We happened across a couple of the chickens grazing, and she started to follow after one of them. Out of now where my barred rock rooster, who is still pretty young and apparently never seen a small child, comes feathers blazing claws baring at my daughter. I quickly grabbed her arm and stepped in between them shouting at him
rant.gif
. That did not stop him. He came in for another attack, and he quickly got my foot directly in his chest. I knocked him back several feet, but he wasn't finished. He came at her AGAIN and immediately, before he could get to her, got another foot to the chest knocking him back even farther.
ep.gif
The second one made him think a little and he started to back off. Finally, deciding that maybe this wasn't a good idea. Now the girls all saw this going on and I'm sure the kicks to the chest knocking him on his rear was a bit of embarrasment. I wasn't finished with him yet though. I figured if I let him go now there is a better chance of him trying this again. So, my daughter and I ,proceeded to separate him from the hens by walking briskly behind him, running him around the yard hissing at him. I am sure my neighbors, if the could see me, would get a giggle out of this. I know that my daughter did. Eventually, we cornered him in the coop where I grabbed that little buzzered by the ankles and held him upside down for all the girls to see. I held him there next to my daughter, to where she even petted his wattle. I then layed him on his side in the cooped released him and walked out. I just went on my gut instinct on what to do in this situation. As, I have never been here before. I stopped my husband ,whom did not see any of this, from his grass cutting. I told him that we may be having chicken noodle soup for dinner.

Ok so what now? Do I need to cull my rooster or will the humilation stop him from trying this in the future? I only have the one roo and 5 hens. I really do like him and I know that he was probably just looking after his hens. I have seen him do it before to a cat and a dog. Did I do the right thing or is there a better way to handle this in the chance that this would happen again? Any words of wisdom are appreciated.
old.gif

I had one of my top hat roos attack me and i was bleeding pretty bad (still have a big scar) and a week after we took him to a place and they were able to butcher him for $2 for us.

You will get a lot of responses recommending culling him for Freezer Camp.

I, on the other hand, think you could give him another chance. As I understand it, this was the first time he'd encountered your daughter? You knew he was protecting his flock, at least, and not just being mean for no particular reason.

The only thing you might have done differently was NOT to chase him, running, as that does tend to cause the miscreant up his challenge response. I walk mine backwards, deliberately, regular walking speed, until he turns away and "gives up." It's not the slight turn still facing you, it's the actual turn away from you that matters. My neighbors once saw me walk my obnoxious little Silver Sebright backwards all over the yard until he gave up.

I've picked up my dominant rooster and carried him around under my arm for a good 10 minutes, once, when he forgot his place and challenged me. In front of his ladies. When I put him down, I pushed him down to the ground and held his head down for a few seconds, beak to the dirt. I am the boss. And he has never forgotten it.

Can your daughter handle a broom?
I think you may know where I am goingwith this.
I think you did exactly what should have been done, only one problem, they have short attention spans and memories, the lesson may have to be repeated several times.
She is a little bit young to be able to handle herself, by herself but it;s a start! Good for you

Your daughter's eyes. You might not be able to stop him in time-once and just once is all it takes.

I have been there done that with a roo drawing blood on my youngest child. My DH put him down. The roo is untrustworthy and will be wanting to challenge you and your loved ones again. We too gave him a chance. Then the behavior got worse and worse.

Not worth it IMO if you have small children- because of the child's eyes being a target.

We now have some beautiful and wonderful Nankin (bantam) roos and D'uccle roos that are so sweet and 10 inches high. Also some others that are with us on probation, lol.

Last edited:
I agree, small children and roos really do not mix. This is natural behavior for many roos. There are a number of ways to handle an aggressive roo in past threads on here. Sometimes one is trainable, sometimes not. IMO trying to do this is fine for adults, but small children should not be anywhere near the roo. Even if you get him where adults feel unthreatened aorund him, I would not trust him around a child.

Some roos are laid back and friendly, but it takes time to learn whether they will be like this.

It is scarry because I didn't even think about him going for her eyes! My daughter will in no way be out there with out my supervision. I do think that I will give him another chance. I am definatley going to make sure that I am prepared for the situation next time. The broom idea is a great one, and I think that I will arm her with something if she is ever out there with me again. On the ground that is. Hopefully he gets the picture that she is in charge!
bow.gif
Thanks for all the advise. I'm going to check out some more posts on agressive rooster behavior.

Last edited:
Quote:
I agree. I'd cull him.

Not entirely unlike a dog that bites...it's not something that can have "do over" option when it comes to a child.

Back
Top Bottom