We must be getting closer!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Morgan7782, Aug 11, 2010.

1. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    LOL ok first off, I don't even EAT eggs, so my excitement is purely for the going out and fetching the eggs aspect. My family eats eggs, so they won't go to waste, but I won't be enjoying them myself. Except in baking. [​IMG]

Onto my news! I have a 24-26 week old Brahma, and when I went away this weekend the fellow BYCer who watched my girls said she heard the egg song. From the Brahma's coop, and the only other residents in there are two 13 week old pullets. Well today I caught my Brahma nesting! And she squatted twice for me! She was nesting in a nearby fern, so I need to get some golf balls and show her what the nestboxes are for [​IMG]

I am so excited! Still waiting, but we are getting closer!

I also have a 17 week old Barred Rock, but am in no rush for her, don't want TOO early ya know?

2. sheaviance1

sheaviance1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Tennessee
    That's funny! The excitement is contagious, I swear. My whole family now, when they call, ask how many eggs I got today (mine just started laying last week).

3. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    Congrats! How old were yours and what breeds laid first? [​IMG] I have a 6 year old nephew who lives with us, and he is SO excited. He has memorized the "egg song" and sings it to the girls encouraging them to lay. I just got a really neat basket from a friend the other day, and he has it right by the back door, ready to be grabbed and filled [​IMG]

4. girlychick

girlychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Yay!
    Getting new egg layers is so exciting.
    After a month u get tired of cleaning hay and chicken poo poo off of eggs trust me -_-

5. gaillardia

gaillardia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2010
    Larkspur, CO
    Quote:My Barred Rock layed at 19 weeks, so you shouldn't have to wait much longer for her either.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by