We Survived the 1st Year - Barely

Thank you all for the great welcome! Yes, dogs are always a risk. I knew that going in. But once trained, they are a great asset. My Anatolian takes her job very seriously. Any threat, real or perceived, and she leaps into action. At first, she would have to "move" the birds out of her way, which meant chance them, then turn around and charge. Now, when she leaps into action, the birds start moving in the opposite direction she is heading. She barks and growls and heads for what is almost always a cow. Both the dog and the birds work together to keep the dog between the cow -- I mean threat -- and the birds. LOL. If the threat does not leave immediately, the guineas begin sounding the alarm! It's cool to watch. I'm glad it's mostly cows. They chase away the predatory birds too, which is pretty much the largest problem. At only 7 months old, she is already hip high at the head, 90 pounds, and definitely the alpha. My other dog, about 50 pounds and 11 months, has a different approach. She is fast as lightening and can jump anything. She watches, if two are needed, she springs in to help. It's a hoot when they all sleep together. They were definitely worth the investment. Over all, predators have taken out four chickens, one cat, and five guineas, ten animals total. The dogs cost me six animals. And yes, the nom-nom girls (what we call the dogs) protect us too. I'm going to buy some more birds, and will be posting questions about that! It's great to be here!!

Back
Top Bottom