We think two of our new flock have Mareck's - now what?

GolfChicken

In the Brooder
Apr 18, 2020
We are new to keeping chickens and have spent time and money building and clearing land for a coop, supplies etc and all of a sudden in last week two of our Turkens started experiencing symptoms from what we thought was sour crop to unable to stand without being off balance. Soon there after another Turken started to experience breathing issues and lethargy. We had to put the first Turken down and as we had brought to avian vet to see what the issue was. We wanted an autopsy to know what we were dealing with regarding the other 15 pullets.

The chicks were vaccinated a birth and in reading the vaccination doesn't guarantee that chickens will never contract.

We're devastated as the kids and Mrs got very attached and now we have no idea where to go from here? In all my reading prior to getting chicks I never read about Mareck's or this was a possibility and unsure what the next step.

Help! Please talk me off the ledge

Wait for the test results to come back before making a decision. It may be something else besides marecks.

Some diseases mean you just keep a closed flock with no birds in and no birds out. This may be an option for you.

I feel for you. Its awful to experience.
Please let us know what the test results are.

I feel your pain I was given 7 birds at 1 years old a few months ago little did I know that 4 of them were not egg birds I have come home to dead chickens 2x in past month and half. You will find balance

Wait for the test results to come back before making a decision. It may be something else besides marecks.

Some diseases mean you just keep a closed flock with no birds in and no birds out. This may be an option for you.

I feel for you. Its awful to experience.
Please let us know what the test results are.
thank you and as soon as we learn results will pass along

If they were vaccinated at hatch it might be something else going on with them, hopefully. I had an 7 year old vaccinated hen 18 months ago who became unbalanced and could move her legs, but just not stay upright. She spent 5 weeks in a basket as I had to feed her wet foods twice a day to keep her nourished, since she couldn’t get to food and water. She finally was able to rise up and keep her balance, and spent the 17 months roaming the chicken yard. Last week she died. Her necropsy showed that she had a huge lash egg and oviduct cancer, which might have been related to her illness. So, I would look for dehydration, possible coccidiosis, or eating something bad which could have caused the symptoms in your chickens.

Back
Top Bottom