We Want Chickens! Parents Not Convinced.

Hmmmm.....white trash????
hu.gif
I've been called worse
roll.png

I have to make a comment about what you have all said as for the "other animals" dogs, cats, hampsters, etc... We have 4 dogs, had 2 hampsters (at different times), and fish... We have 4 children (still living at home) and they all wanted these things... The dogs, oh goodness it's like pulling teeth to get them to take care of them, play, feed, water, etc... we are constantly having to remind them to take care of them! The hampsters, poor things, asked if it was taken care of, fed, watered, cage cleaned, they said yes, nope... wont go any further, except to say... they stunk!!! The fish.. well you can emagine... just like the hampsters... they ended up going to the horse troph though (still living)! The chickens were MOM's project... But kids love them.. have not lost interest... and will do anything they can to help!!! They just run on cleaning days LOL... but thats okay... they do bring the hay in from the shed and will help with everything else... and I dont have to ask!!! Needless to say, they have lost interest in everything except for the chickens!!
As for the cost... I have spent more time and money on the dogs than I will ever dream about spending on the chickens!! Now that I have the chickens I save 8.00 a week in eggs although that money is well spent on feed (I do have 50 of them)!! From the chickens, I get eggs, meat, and most of all they are wonderful therapy!!!
As for you running off to college... I will have to agree with the others... more than likely they will get hooked and love having them around!!!
Another way you could do this is join the FFA your school should have a local chapter... You can show them, use them as your FFA project... etc...
As for the white trash part... LOL... I know multi-millionairs that have them!!! They would cringe to be refered to as "white trash" LOL
As for the stink... even with 50 of them, I never have a problem with smell!!! And boy does my garden and flowers look beautiful (except for the ones they go to)!!! LOL...
I wish you the best of luck!!! Just be sure to do your research!!! Know exactly what you want... and check your local city ordiance to make sure you are allowed to have them in your area!!!
Tes

Maybe you guys should have your parents scope out the BYC site... I loved animals when I was young and I still love them. Parents do often and unfortunately end up with the responsibility of caring for and funding pet expenses - however, like my husband always says... at least the chickens give you something in return. Your parents may find that they enjoy those eggs as well as the birds. Good luck and DO CHECK your city's ordinances for livestock rules!

You can also call your local Animal Control Officer. Some are with the Sheriffs or Police Departments, but others are seperate so all you have to do is call. OR, since apparently you are in middle or high school you can always go talk to your D.A.R.E. / On campus officer, they are always there to help. Good Luck!!!
Tes

I'm having to go through this same thing right now, with goats, actually. My dad doesn't think I can handle taking care of more animals, even though the chickens we have now are extremely well taken care of, if I do say so myself.
wink.png

Maybe you ought to start with a dog or cat, or something small like that, and prove you will be willing to stick with it. I know lots of people get their heart set on something, and everybody wants to think they'd never get tired of cleaning up chicken poo, or being out there EVERY SINGLE DAY once or twice, perhaps more, giving them fresh food and water. Also, do you have a place you can put the compost? I'm kind of thinking you live in a subdivision or town, am I right?

My ebil, diabolical plan is to just take extra-good care of them all winter long.
big_smile.png

Good luck!

EDIT: Oh, and if you want to go on vacation,you have to have someone reliable to care for your animals.

Last edited:
Well my dad wanted fresh eggs and I wanted chickens. After I got my chickens he said he was glad we got them because they were so relaxing. Hopefully I can expand my coop and get more chickens.

Back
Top Bottom