Weak Chick From Cold

PastaChickenBoo

Songster
6 Years
Mar 11, 2017
MD
Hi. We just received three chicks from Cackle Hatchery. Due to the cold, they were inactive at arrival. Now one is fine but one is on the floor of the brooder, eyes closed, can't lift her head or walk. Her poop is normal. I suspect it's shipping stress/cold. There's no discharge around her eyes and she drank when I dipped her beak. She responds when I poke her gently though and can chirp. Help!

Last edited:
Keep her warm - she needs to be around 90F. You may have to dropper feed her for a while - sugar water or SAv-a-chick electrolyte solution. Although they are pretty resilient as adults they are quite delicate at that age. I have my fingers x'd for you....
fl.gif

I would give vitamins in water...spoon feed (offer her the spoon often

How warm is your brooder?
Not too warm or too cold right?

The brooder is heated well. Today it was really really cold. We are expecting a shipment of Nutridrench on Saturday. We fed her sugar water.

The brooder is heated well. Today it was really really cold. We are expecting a shipment of Nutridrench on Saturday. We fed her sugar water.
Heated well could mean too hot....do they have a "cool" area to move to, although it doesn't sound like this one is moving too well.

Great, keep offering it.
Good luck.

UPDATE

Our weak chick is doing well, but she's still a bit too weak to lift her head. Hopefully she's just sleeping. She's not straddled on the floor like before, but whenever she lifts her head, it soon droops down again.

UPDATE

Our weak chick is doing well, but she's still a bit too weak to lift her head. Hopefully she's just sleeping. She's not straddled on the floor like before, but whenever she lifts her head, it soon droops down again.

great...hopefully the sugar water is giving her some energy, which will make her eat!

How is your weak chick now? We have a weak one who came from Cackle Hatchery today too. Three-day journey...

Back
Top Bottom