1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

weak chick

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by apbgv, Jun 27, 2007.

1. apbgv

apbgv Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    Iowa
    either late last night or very early this am my last chick hatched(dumb broodies thats another story). They all hatched late starting at day 24 which was monday so this one hatched at day 25 1/2 we will say just seems weak. The hen was out with the others when I came home and this one was in the carrier, I took her out and put her in the brooder. I did put some food on the floor. I will offer her a little water in a little bit. she just seems weak like she can't stay awake. any helpful hints?

TIA

2. allen wranch

allen wranch Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    San Marcos, TX
    You are doing fine.

Since everyone else hatched earlier, it is probably weak from struggling to hatch. Sometimes the babies will perk up and be fine after a day or two. Others are just naturally weak and that was why it took longer to hatch.

Just make sure the chick stays warm and put some vitamins & electrolytes in the water.

3. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

I was thinking, maybe a little sugar water, for one day, just for a quick pick-me-up. Then maybe some vitamins for a few days after. Hope it is doing better. Keep us posted!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by