1. Chixlittel

Chixlittel Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2014
    Midwest
    I have a 2.5 year old buff orpington that for the past 7 days is puffed out, tail down, head scrunched into body. She is not eating well. It has been cold here. This week has been high 30s to low 40s. But we did just get over a very cold snap. Anyways, I have her separated on the other side of my coop. She can see the others and they can see her. She wants to eat. Is eager to eat. Clucks, haVe seen her prene a little, but is just not eating enough. She is very thin and light. Verses my other hen which are heavy. She will eat a little, then go to the corner. I have been feeding her scrambled eggs and layer pellets soaked in water. She only wants to eat from my hand.

I tried putting her with the other hens, she seems excited, wants to be with them, but they pick on her real bad. I'm wondering if they haven't been letting her eat and it finally caught up with her.

What to do? How do I get her the energy to want to eat freely. What else can I do? I'm at a loss.

2. Chixlittel

Nov 20, 2014
    Midwest
    Forgot to mention. Not egg bound, no mites, no lice, poop is a little off, but she's not eating much, so I figure that's why. And she does drink water.

3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    You might want to move her to a warm cage . 80-85 degrees would be ideal, but watch for signs of overheating.

4. Chixlittel

Nov 20, 2014
    Midwest
    I would love to do that. I really think it would help her. Unfortunately, my husband is not being cooperative and said no chickens in the house. I'm trying tho to convince him.

5. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

6. Chixlittel

Nov 20, 2014
    Midwest
    I have noticed her head shaking, and can sometimes hear her breath. She has no runny nose, no runny eyes, no sneezing, no coughing. Could this be respiratory? How would you treat?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by