Weak joints?

JacinLarkwell

Free Ranging
Mar 19, 2020
South-Eastern Montana
I have a hen that me and my mom are thinking has a weak joint in her leg. My mom sees it more than I do but apparently when she takes off runnibg, one of her knees wobbles and turns onwards a bit.

We don't know what caused it, were thinking either a deficiency of some kind or she might have gotten kicked when we had a sheep get in their stall.

I've felt her joint and I don't really know what to feel for. It's not super loose like I expected, but it's maybe a little bit looser than the other?

Eggcessive

Addict
Premium Feather Member
10 Years
Apr 3, 2011
southern Ohio
Can you post a picture of her legs from the front in a normal standing position? She might have a tendon issue or an injury. Sometimes you can wrap the leg with tape or vet wrap/Coban for support, but be very careful not to get it too tight to cut off circulation. Vet wrap can slip and affect circulation. If ahe isn’t having a problem, I would not wrap it and just watch her.

JacinLarkwell

Free Ranging
Mar 19, 2020
South-Eastern Montana
She doesn't really look different when she's standing or doing that slow walk birds do sometimes, but I can try to get a picture. It's mostly just when she takes off in a sprint. Is there a deficiency that might cause that or could it maybe be a genetic issue? None of her hatchmates have any problems.

Eggcessive

Addict
Premium Feather Member
10 Years
Apr 3, 2011
southern Ohio
You could try some human super vitamin B complex tablets crushed and mixed into her food or a small amount of water 1/2 tablet daily. Riboflanin (B2) is good for leg health in chickens.

Top Bottom