Weak looking 2 day old chick

KarriBeth

In the Brooder
Jan 21, 2021
I have 9 new baby chicks and there is one little Rhode Island Red that is 2 days old and seems to be struggling but I’m not sure. This is my first time with chicks and this little girl isn’t as active as the others (it’s also a little younger) and like falls asleep standing up. It will be walking and it’s eyes start closing and it falls asleep and then shakes it’s head like trying to stay away. I’ve dipped it’s beak and it is drinking and I’ve seen it peck at the feed but I’m a little worried. I don’t know what to try. I’ve read maybe feeding it scrambled eggs or hard boiled egg yolk? Also I have not given them any electrolytes I didn’t know about them until doing research on the page right now. Do I need to get some?
The brooder temp is staying at 97-100 on the warm side.
you can see the chick in the picture laying under the little chick “roost” my son built for them to play on.
8168C2FB-10B1-478E-80BD-E855975628C8.jpeg

I fed scrambled eggs and she ate them. Has perked a little but I found some questionable poop from her and/or an olive egger. I’ll go get some of that to give!!!
BCB37999-0C0B-4850-A0F4-03D6C775E104.jpeg

well after some scrambled eggs, alternating nutri drench and hydro hen this little chick has perked up and turned into quite the little sassy pants! Haha Her feathers are starting to come in more and she is running around, pecking, and flapping those tiny wings. Hopefully she is on the mend and will keep thriving now!
Ps ignore the dirty hands I was working in the garden before I checked on them.
3CB3FEED-361E-4916-B42E-20E6870CDD83.jpeg

I have 9 new baby chicks and there is one little Rhode Island Red that is 2 days old and seems to be struggling but I’m not sure. This is my first time with chicks and this little girl isn’t as active as the others (it’s also a little younger) and like falls asleep standing up. It will be walking and it’s eyes start closing and it falls asleep and then shakes it’s head like trying to stay away. I’ve dipped it’s beak and it is drinking and I’ve seen it peck at the feed but I’m a little worried. I don’t know what to try. I’ve read maybe feeding it scrambled eggs or hard boiled egg yolk? Also I have not given them any electrolytes I didn’t know about them until doing research on the page right now. Do I need to get some?
The brooder temp is staying at 97-100 on the warm side.
you can see the chick in the picture laying under the little chick “roost” my son built for them to play on.
View attachment 2609275

Feeding egg yolks will help maybe ?

Nothing quite as nice as a sassy pants chick that had been seemingly not thriving.
One of my winter chicks didn't grow at all in months they have no comb growth not fully feathered also they have odd looking wings that become bigger longer then their body I belive it's a sign of failure to thrive they didn't make it after all efforts

Back
Top Bottom