Weak, small chick. Feet curled in and no feathers on back.

The chick also does not have feathers on its back or neck. Would this be something breed specific or an issue with the chick?
Specific *possible* causes of embryo issues starts around page 51, and chick stuff on page 52 ish..

https://www.hubbardbreeders.com/media/incubation_guideen__053407700_1525_26062017.pdf

I don't think it's breed specific.. more likely breeder diet, possibly a single defficient hen IF everyone else is fine.. and it wasn't incubation temperature related (which day 21 sounds pretty good).

Chick does not stand up on legs and feet are curled inward. Could this be slipped tendon or something else?
Nutritioinal deficit in the hatching egg.. supplement as suggested by other posters already..

The "shoe" fixes symptoms which *is* helpful long term (regarding roosting, etc).. but max benefit will be seen when treating cause also.. for anyone who reads this in the future, since I see you are already addressing it.

Please note that electrolyte supplements may not contain enough of the ribolfavin (E or what have you) to make it count for a bird in perril. While B vitamins don't overdose easily.. some other stuff might.. my point being that sometimes a targeted vitamin might still be the best choice.. when looking for more than just a little pick me up.

Hope the little darling shows improvement and recovers quickly! :fl

Specific *possible* causes of embryo issues starts around page 51, and chick stuff on page 52 ish..

https://www.hubbardbreeders.com/media/incubation_guideen__053407700_1525_26062017.pdf

I don't think it's breed specific.. more likely breeder diet, possibly a single defficient hen IF everyone else is fine.. and it wasn't incubation temperature related (which day 21 sounds pretty good).

Nutritioinal deficit in the hatching egg.. supplement as suggested by other posters already..

The "shoe" fixes symptoms which *is* helpful long term (regarding roosting, etc).. but max benefit will be seen when treating cause also.. for anyone who reads this in the future, since I see you are already addressing it.

Please note that electrolyte supplements may not contain enough of the ribolfavin (E or what have you) to make it count for a bird in perril. While B vitamins don't overdose easily.. some other stuff might.. my point being that sometimes a targeted vitamin might still be the best choice.. when looking for more than just a little pick me up.

Hope the little darling shows improvement and recovers quickly! :fl
Thank you. I will continue with the b complex as well as the electrolytes. I have been syringe feeding electrolytes, b complex and the water from soaked feed since hatch date. Stopped the b complex today but after reading this will resume. Chick is in a crate with heat pad. Took off boots and tape for the splay this morning and chick is able to walk already. Still weak and sleeps a lot but definite improvement. Ate (water soaked feed) and drank on its own for the first time this evening.

Any idea if this chick could become fully feathered? I know it’s hard to say as there are many factors that could contribute.

I appreciate all the responses and help!

The little chick passed away naturally this morning. He went downhill fast. He was so small I don’t know that he really had a chance. I learned a lot from having the little chick and will be better prepared if I come across it again. Thank you to everyone who provided information.

Back
Top Bottom