Weak toes?

iheartivy

Hatching
6 Years
Sep 28, 2013
We have 2 baby chicks who are 7 weeks or so. We have noticed that their legs and toes seem rather weak. They are having trouble walking and can on longer perch or roost when we put them on our finger. They have been living in a brooder with pellets for bedding and we have fed them cracked corn. I have gave them some vegetables here and there and even gave them some avocado once but tried to pull it out after i read it could be poison to them. I am afraid they may have ate some though. I am wondering what is causing this? We have already lost one chick and want to save our last two :( Is it the avocado or a vitamin deficiency? Or is it because we didn't have something in the brooder for them to roost on?? Any help is appreciated

It sounds like they are just fine, they are probably just learning to balance, also their feet may not be quite strong enough to hold their body weight up yet. If you are feeding them high protein chick starter they should be okay, but if you are worried about a vitamin deficiency you could add some vitamins, and electrolytes in their water. You can purchase this at most feed stores. Good Luck

Back
Top Bottom